Where is the best soft serve on campus?

Gettin’ creamy with it

If I’ve learned anything from being at college, it’s that being exposed to 24/7 soft serve is a game changer.

A real, calorific game changer.

With three major dining halls in my vicinity, self control is virtually non-existent. So naturally, I embraced this new lifestyle and decided to embark on a quest for the best. The results were surprising.

West Campus: 

I’m going to preface this by saying that this dining hall is the worst for a Warren freshman who is allergic to effort. Nonetheless, I escaped the cold and made a bee-line for the soft serve machine. I decided to base my test off of the twisty flavor because…well, it’s just the best one. Always.

Hot fudge? A plus for sure.

But…where were the Oreos?

The chocolate chips! Sprinkles weren’t going to cut it. I decided to waive my judgements for the taste test.

Creaminess: 8/10
Crazy creamy. Nearly milky, one might say. Too creamy? Maybe.

Flavor: 7/10
Pretty good. Twisty enough. Not perfect though. (Maybe I’m still hung up on the oreos.)

Toppings: 6/10
No crunchiness, no fun.

Perfection of swirl: 4/10 WEAK AS HELL. As I watched the ice cream fall from the machine, my head literally turned sideways to watch the top swirl sadly fall flat. Meh.

Consensus?

Bay State:

One T-ride later, and I was smack on the other side of campus, ready to enter the famed Bay State dining hall.

Or not.

After failing the fingerprint entry around four times, I was already on the verge of an internal breakdown. Or an identity crisis.

Okay, no Oreos still.

But chocolate chips are finally here.

Bay State made some progress. Except the hot fudge didn’t work. So maybe it took a step back.

And might I mention that the only flavor available both upstairs and downstairs was chocolate. All I wanted was twisty goodness, and all I got was a sad fifty percent of the duo.

Creaminess: 10/10

I have to admit, the soft serve was perfect. Not too soft, not too machiney.

Flavor: A solid chocolatey 7/10

No swirl though.

Toppings: 7/10

The crunch factor was there, but CARAMEL IS NOT FUDGE. NO. It started to freeze. I was extremely unamused.

Consensus?
Sighs. 2 down, 1 to go.

Warren Towers: 

Good ol’ Warren Towers. My home away from home, prison building sweet prison building. Not to mention a dining hall that requires minimal walking, and no runny noses and chilly hands.

Can I get a hallelujah?

Here’s the problem. I didn’t even bother with the toppings area, because it was a barren wasteland. Nothing. No Oreos. No chocolate chips. I was wishing for sprinkles at this point. Heartbreaking.

Creaminess: 11/10
Although my photo suggests otherwise, this twist was perfection. Literal perfection.

Flavor: 10/10
Why couldn’t this soft serve and West’s topping bar have a passionate lovechild?

Toppings:0/10
…I don’t even wanna talk about it.

The winner? 

So there you have it, friends. A comprehensive taste test of BU’s soft serve. As many of it’s residents say, West is best. Although I must admit I was surprised that things turned out the way they did. Perhaps I’ll try again another day. For my own personal research.

BU