IFF accidentally oversold tickets to its Oscars Gala and had to refund people at the last minute

Student are left scrambling to find tickets last minute

Tonight, the Ivy Film Festival is hosting its popular Oscars Gala. Billed as a formal extravaganza, the event promised a fun night complete with a star-worthy carpet. Unfortunately, due to an error in Brown Marketplace, IFF sold more tickets than authorized to do so. The student group sent out the following email this morning at 12:35 PM:

“Hello,

Unfortunately, due to an administrative error on Brown Marketplace, the IFF Oscars Gala was oversold beyond the venue’s capacity. If you are receiving this email, we are deeply sorry to say we must refund your ticket(s).

The SAO will be issuing refunds today, and the full amount should show on bank accounts within two business days.

We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for this error. We will be sure to keep your name on a special list-serve for first-access to our upcoming screenings and our Festival after party in April.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to respond directly to this email.

Sincerely,

The IFF Events Team”

The mistake sent several students scrambling to find tickets through the discussion section of the event’s page on Facebook. Because the event occurs tonight, the email’s timing is especially inopportune.

The Tab asked the organizers for a comment, but they did not respond.

Brown University