An ode to West Hartford, Connecticut, the best town in New England

Breakfast at Goldberg’s?

When asked where I live, my answer of “West Hartford, Connecticut” is usually met with responses of, “Do you mean Hartford?” or “Is that just like west of Hartford?”

This smallish town is indeed just west of Hartford, and is usually overshadowed by it’s bigger neighbor, but it’s time that West Hartford gets the praise that it rightfully deserves.

WeHa (AKA West Hartford) by far can seem like one of the most suburban towns gracing the New England coast. I can assure you that it is. But there are many reasons why we love to call this place home.

Weekend brunch at Goldberg’s

Waking up after a night out too late? Most group chats will start off the morning with “Goldberg’s? Brunch?”  You can never go wrong with an order of some homemade bagels and in-house spreads, or a deli sandwich, or other brunch favorites. With Goldberg’s being open at 6am on weekdays, it’s not unlikely that high school students roll into class a few minutes class periods late from a late morning pit-stop.

Always something to do in Blue Back Square

There’s always things to do and places to be in our makeshift downtown. With streets lined with restaurants, quirky shops, and clothing stores, there’s something for everyone. After school, you can see high schoolers and middle schoolers walking around town, with lines for bubble tea, Starbucks, bagels, and frozen yogurt running out the storefront doors. On the weekends, locals frequent Blue Back for dinner and to hang out with friends. In the spring and summer, families hang around the greens, listening to the live music performances in the square.

Cross-town rivalries

There’s no high school rivalry like Conard vs. Hall. Situated on opposite sides of town, the sports rivalry dates back decades. For every sport team, the Conard/Hall game day is one that sits beyond the rest. Teams share “psych” boxes to pump-up their teammates with cards, candy, and gifts. Since Hall day is usually the last home game for many teams, the courts and playing fields are decorated with red streamers, balloons, and posters to show our school colors.

But for sure, the Conard vs. Hall football game is not one to miss. Families and generations of Conard and Hall alumni come to tailgate and prepare for the all-day event on the day before Thanksgiving break. The events are filled with good cheer and fun that is definitely one of the greatest highlights from high school for many.

Springtime at Elizabeth Park

You know it’s springtime in West Hartford when you see colorful flowers blooming in Elizabeth Park, people walking their dogs across the greens, and families picnicking on the grass by the endless bushes of lilies, tulips, and other springtime plants. Take a book and relax in under the gazebo or under the shade of the many trees, or throw around a frisbee with a few friends.

All the music and art programs for your heart’s desire

Credit: Emily Weinstein

West Hartford is known for its numerous music and arts programs offered through extracurricular activities and through community events.

Conard is also famous for its musicals, an year-round task that culminates in two weeks of flawless production and endless fun. Hall produces its annual production of Pop’s and Jazz, a concert full of singing, jazz, and dancing that attracts all families and spectators in town and from the neighboring areas. With the community music program from the University of Hartford, there is something for anyone’s taste.

Student musicians come together to form award-winning orchestras and bands that compete and perform nationally and internationally.

A relaxing day at the reservoir

After a long day of school, or a long week of work and activities, it’s always good to take the time to relax on the reservoir. With thousands of acres of land, joggers and bicyclists can adventure around the trails while admiring the changing colors of fall or the springtime blooms. The pristine waters of the reservoirs are beautiful places to sit down and relax with a book or to take a quick nap under the shade of the trees. Just don’t take a dip in the water.

West Hartford resevoir

Celebrate! West Hartford marks the start of summer

June starts off with a two-day community carnival complete with fried foods, rides, a petting zoo, and artisan shops that line the streets of Blue Back Square. The festivities start off with a 5k race for families and friends to watch or participate in if able. School ensembles and professional bands play live music all weekend long, inviting the carnival-goers to relax and listen to music or to dance in the grass.

Thousands of people from town and from nearby districts come to experience the fun weekend that Celebrate! has to offer. Personally, I come for the fried dough.

Stellar public school system

Public School in West Hartford

For consecutive years, the West Hartford Public School System has been recognized as a the top in the state. The public schools attract families to West Hartford, with rankings putting West Hartford as the one of the best places to raise families and to grow up.

Not only is schooling a positive attribute of West Hartford, but the people, sense of community, and unique passions and support from neighbors, teachers, friends, and family really puts our beloved town in a special place in each of our hearts.

Brown University