What I learned about my Vietnamese culture from a dress

It’s more than just a dress

AMER (1)

Spring cleaning for the Lunar Year is always a family task. During the time for reflection on the previous year, photo frames and albums are dusted off to restore them to their pristine condition, floors are wiped down, the grounds surrounding the house are cleaned for loose shrubs, and the home is prepared to welcome the new year for my ancestors.

My sister and I always take the time to browse through the numerous photo albums that lay around the house. As we flip through the old photographs, we stop to admire the pictures of my mom as a teenager in Vietnam flaunting the áo dài as she beamed with pride. There are photos of her with old friends, all dressed in white Vietnamese uniforms, as they strutted the city streets of Saigon.

My mom on her wedding day, wearing traditional red

In America, I have seen the women in my family wear this dress to various family occasions. The collar is high, extending the neck to an upright position. With a steady hand, intricate designs are embroidered into the fresh silk; each dress unique in their size and decoration. Each dress has a little surprise that draws you in whether it is the different color trim on the collar and sleeves, or the designs that line the train. The two long slits on both sides of the gown would let the dress catch in the wind, revealing the satin trousers underneath. Each dress is worn proudly by all in Vietnam. Although we are diverse in our upbringing and dreams, this garment is a symbol of unity.

My family and I wearing áo dài to welcome in the new year

My family, although we were fortunate to be able to live a comfortable life in Vietnam, took the risk of immigrating to the United States, in attempts to take advantage of the glorified opportunities here in America. Upon arrival to the United States, it did not take long for my mom to realize that we must settle quickly and become accustomed, though not complete assimilated, to Western culture.

My mom worked numerous jobs in factories and restaurants to provide for her family instead of finishing her high school education. All of my mom’s sacrifices make her the strong woman that I idolize to this day. Her strength helps me mature and instills a desire to embody the same fearless spirit everywhere I go. It is from her stories that I am proud to flaunt my heritage and display it for others to see. Through my memories and old stories of Vietnam, I was provided a deep love and understanding for the history of my country and ancestors. The áo dài not only symbolizes the timelessness of an ancient culture but it also signifies who I am.

The Vietnamese culture is so rich like the gold color of our skin: the bamboo hats, the vast rice fields, phở, an example of the country’s delectable cuisine, and of course, the áo dài, a physical symbol of our culture.Understanding its significance in my heritage has helped me appreciate it more. I remember being timid the first few times when I wore it, but now, I can wear it with pride: proudly displaying the culture of the country with a newfound appreciation for the roots that define me. We may come from all different backgrounds, and have different aspirations, but we are somehow all connected spiritually by this ordinary, humble dress.

Brown University americanstories