Brown will open a First-Generation Center this summer

There are almost 1,000 first-generation students here

This summer, Brown will open a student center in the renovated Science Library to house all of these resources and programs for first-generation students. An event will be planned for the opening of the Center for early Fall 2016. This initiative was highlighted in the recent Pathways to Diversity and Inclusion action plan, which identified first-generation students as a community in need of greater support and recognition.

Approximately 16% of 6,182 undergrads at Brown identify as first-generation students, a value that reaches right under 1,000 students.

During the last few years at Brown, students have been pushing for an expansion of support, programs, and activities targeted at first-generation college students.

In May 2015, students proposed the creation of such a center to physical space as a means to expand support, programs and activities targeted at first-generation college students.  Last month, the Center’s $30,000 annual budget was approved as part of the fiscal year 2017 budget.

The Center will house office and meeting space, lounges, and event space.  The First-Generation Center will be centrally located nearby other support services, including Tutoring Services the Writing Center, and the Science Center, among others.

The First-Gen Center will be staffed with six undergrad coordinators, as well as a graduate coordinator, with the additional oversight by co-directors Ricky Gresh, director for campus life projects and Yolanda Rome, assistant dean of the college for first-year and sophomore studies.

Rome said: “FirstGen students arrive with many assets and strengths. The challenge for Brown is to be better prepared to integrate their skills and diverse perspectives into our advising approaches and intellectual community.”

The Center will provide outreach to current and incoming students, group meetings, peer mentoring, University resource events, alumni networking and other community-building events.

In response to the upcoming project, Dean Maud Mandel said: “The Center will continue to strengthen support for and increase recognition of this dynamic community – and the rich backgrounds and experiences they bring to the University community – that our students have worked so tirelessly to organize.”

Emily Doglio (’17) and Viet Nguyen (’17), founders and co-presidents of the First-Generation College Students at Brown, say the creation of this space for First-Gen students will show the university has expressed a commitment to provide greater support to them and their peers.

Doglio said: “This shows that FirstGen students matter at Brown. And that we are not alone.”

Useful Resources:

IvyG – student network to connect First-Generation students across the Ivy League Universities

http://www.1vyg.org/about/

First-Generation College Students Resource and Information page

https://www.brown.edu/campus-life/support/first-generation-students/about 

‘How to Brown’ Guidebook – resources for students, developed by students

https://www.brown.edu/campus-life/support/first-generation-students/how-brown-guidebook

Brown University