DPS officer’s employment terminated after investigation

Effective immediately

On November 14, 2015 during the Latinx Ivy League Conference hosted at Brown, a Dartmouth student, Geovanni Cuevas, alleged he was physically restrained by Brown Campus Police at a party hosted at the Machado House.

After extensive investigation and a disciplinary hearing for the officer involved, it has been determined that the officer did not handle the situation correctly nor safely, and the officer’s employment has been terminated.

Russell Carey, Executive Vice President of Planning and Policy, sent an email to the Brown community to relay the news and shed light on the incident in further detail.

Carey says the University is continuing to develop resources for the correct training and “professional standards” to assist officers in handling situations respectably and appropriately.

Colonel Mark Porter, the director of the Department of Public Safety, has been reviewing the diversity and inclusion required of all officers alongside Liza Cariaga-Lo, Vice President for Academic Development, Diversity, and Inclusion. Carey says that the Public Safety Oversight Committee will be updated after completing the review later this week, and that the Committee will be holding discussions with students for feedback and input by the end of the semester.

He concludes by welcoming any questions and concerns from Brown faculty, students and staff.

Russell Carey can be reached at:

[email protected]

Colonel Mark Porter can be reached at:

[email protected]

Department of Public Safety:

[email protected]

401-863-3103

Brown University