VIDEO: My Brown interviewer made ‘homophobic and racist’ comments

‘I withdrew my application’

High school senior Matt Sarafa withdrew his application from Brown following an interview in which he claims his interviewer, a Brown alum, made homophobic and racist comments.

Sarafa said in a YouTube video: “Before I can even get a word out of my mouth – not one word – he sits across from me and he says, ‘Just so you know, I don’t want you to be shellshocked if you get into Brown, but they’re not very accepting of ‘your kind’ at this school.'”

The alum kept repeating that Brown is “not a diverse school,” Sarafa said in the video.

“This is one of the worst things I have ever heard in my entire life. He says that the only place you will find ‘Orientals’ in the town surrounding Brown is working in Chinese restaurants and laundromats.”

Sarafa, a fashion designer and LGBTQ advocate with over 20,000 subscribers on YouTube, said he was holding back tears of anger.

“I’ve wanted to paint myself as someone who…is the voice for people who don’t have voices because at one time in my life, I didn’t have a voice and I didn’t stand up for myself.

“The fact that somebody would sit there and bully and use very discriminatory language, that just baffles me.

“The last place I would ever expect to hear something like that is at  Brown University college interview from an interviewer.”

According to the video, the case is under review. As of now, the alum who conducted the interview is still working for Brown, claims Safara.

“The fact that this man is still working for Brown and still conducting interviews for potential students at Brown – that wasn’t sitting well with me,” said Sarafa. “I could never forgive myself if I didn’t put this out there.”

Brown University