Being single on Valentine’s Day is secretly awesome and here’s why

Nothing can go horribly wrong

So, you didn’t get a New Year’s kiss. Or maybe you did, but now you’re now single again. You’re dreading Valentine’s day aka Single’s Awareness Day.

But there are so many reasons why being single on Valentine’s Day is actually awesome.

You save a ton of money

You probably just saved yourself a lot of money on gifts and chocolates for your significant other. Money that you can now spend on yourself. Just because Valentine’s Day is a celebration of romantic love does not mean you can’t make the most of it too.

Though I wouldn’t recommend getting a whole 1liter tub of Ben and Jerry’s cookie dough ice cream and watching The Notebook. You’re going to have puffy eyes, a running nose, a bloated stomach…and you’re still going to be single at the end of it.

Nothing can go horribly wrong

Maybe being single this Valentine’s Day isn’t so bad. At least nothing can go horribly wrong, like the one and only time I attempted Valentine’s day celebration and fell flat on my face. I made plans with a certain person to go out for dinner – only for him to cancel last minute. Ordinarily, I would have been quite bummed but I wasn’t too bothered because my brother offered to take me to the movies instead.

Now here is where the cookie crumbles. I bumped into the guy I was supposed to be out to dinner with – at the movies with another girl. Yeah, majorly sucky. Now that doesn’t happen when you’re single.

You can treat yourself

So here is how you should spend Valentine’s day this year. Treat yourself (I fully intend on buying myself a little gift from Providence Place). Celebrate with other single friends, like a Galentines day. Or Netflix and Chill… literally.

I don’t know about you, but this has been one of the more hectic weeks at Brown so I feel so fortunate that Valentine’s Day is this weekend because I have a valid excuse to relax and partake in some much needed me time.

You can use the day to show love to others

You really ought to treat yourself whenever you can, but let us use Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to love ourselves and love one another, too. You can decide to express love to those around you who you may have fallen out of touch with.

It can be extremely difficult to remember to call and text your friends and see how they are doing. We all get so busy and before we know it, a week has passed. We all feel guilty too for having to sacrifice friendships for a test or school work, but that’s the harsh reality of being a student. We get busy, we forget things – but we should try hard to not lose track of our community of friends.

You can show love in the most simple ways too. Try sending out a text to a friend telling them how you really feel about them. Buy the cashier at Andrews a cookie slice just because you think they’re awesome. It’s super cliché, but it is  the little things that count.

Here is wishing everyone a day of lots of love and laughter!

Brown University