Brown University faculty have designated the second Monday in October as Indigenous People’s Day after a vote earlier today in response to a resolution presented by Native Americans at Brown (NAB) in October 2015.

The day has been called Fall Weekend holiday instead of Columbus Day since a vote in 2009.

Professor Thomas Roberts, Chair of the Faculty Executive Committee, said: “Over the course of the fall 2015 semester, faculty, staff, and students at Brown have engaged in a series of conversations around a proposal to change the name of our current Fall Weekend holiday to Indigenous People’s Day.

“Modifications of the academic calendar require a vote of the faculty. Today a majority of faculty present at the monthly faculty meeting voted to support this proposal by amending theFaculty Rules and Regulations, designating the second Monday of October as Indigenous People’s Day.

“In discussions prior to the vote, faculty expressed their support for the name change as an opportunity to show support for Native Americans on our campus and beyond, and to celebrate Native American culture and history.”