How to handle the holiday blues

It’s not always the most wonderful time of the year

The holiday season is here. For some, the temperatures begin to drop and snow begins to fall, ushering many to Starbucks for the holiday specials. For others, the weather is still warm, which means we can spend break outdoors with friends and family. Whatever the case may be, there is a lot to look forward to this holiday season.

But one thing we never talk about is the holiday blues. For some of us, it isn’t the most wonderful time of year. Sometimes the holiday season is a time of sadness and loneliness. Maybe we are remembering a loved one who has passed, or we’re going back home only to realizing we don’t really feel at home there anymore.

There are many reasons for the holiday blues. Personally, I dread going back home each year because I know it will be difficult to find time for myself. I’ve just spent over four months away from my family and everyone is going to have questions. I’m probably going to have to visit that one aunt I can’t stand.

So if your holidays aren’t a time of pure bliss, you are not alone. What I do to try and overcome some of these holiday blues is seek social support from my friends. Sometimes, that means letting them know that I kind of want to be alone today and I need a little bit of space. I also try to go to the gym. Exercising release endorphins, which leads to happy me. Finally, I avoid Facebook and Instagram, because comparison is the thief of joy.

Even when we are off campus, we will always have our Brown family caring and thinking about us. We shouldn’t be ashamed to relay how we are feeling to the friends we trust here. But sometimes, distance is what we need. And sometimes, even at home, we need to get away for a little while.

I wish everyone nothing but pure joy and happiness this holiday season and always.

Brown University