Brown students react to $100 million spend

‘Yet the university is still so white’

President Paxson is going to invest $100 million over the next decade in order to promote a more “just and inclusive campus community.”

The plan is outlined in the University’s draft Diversity Action Plan, formally titled “Pathways to Diversity and Inclusion: An Action Plan for Brown University.

Students and faculty are invited to respond to the draft with an online feedback form by December 4th, after which the draft will be revisited with consideration of the feedback. A final action plan will be released by the end of the fall semester on December 21st.

But we wanted to get our own feedback first, so we asked you on Snapchat.

First we asked how much you think the university is planning to spend on improving racial inclusion.

Then we got your reactions to the real figure.

First, we had them guess…

Cal Barash-David, Freshman, Undecided (Maybe Gender Studies)

Trey Thomas, Sophomore, Architectural Studies

Arthur Back, Freshman, Undecided

Evelyn Santos, Freshman, Undecided (Maybe BEO)

Vy Dang, Sophomore, Biology 

Alexa Chukwumah, Freshman, Undecided (Maybe International Relations)

Addy Schuetz, Freshman, Undecided 

Joann Huynh, Freshman, Undecided 

[Translation: “I can’t give you a number because I don’t know how much there is but I think the majority, if not all of the funds should go into implementing the plan to its fullest extent. Right now I’d say they’re probably not doing that but it should be because right now this campus isn’t a safe place for students of color and it needs to commit to changing.”]

Then, we revealed the $100 million figure.

Their reactions…

To download the draft “Pathways to Diversity and Inclusion: An Action Plan for Brown University” and to complete the form for feedback:  http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/institutional-diversity/diversity-plan

Brown University