Meet Alexa Enriquez, the sophomore makeup expert

‘Makeup is what you make of it’

“To me the essence, of truly modern makeup is the freedom to be yourself, to express who you are.” - Franҫois Nars “To me the essence, of truly modern makeup is the freedom to be yourself, to express who you are.” – Franҫois Nars

I had the opportunity to catch up with Sophomore Alexa Enriquez, an entrepreneur and makeup artist extraordinaire. Here are her thoughts on what makeup means to her and to the modern world we live in.

Alexa enjoys trying out new, gorgeous looks on herself for her Facebook page

When did you first get into makeup?

I first started wearing makeup at 15 after my quinceanera. I remember distinctly having a sleepover with my older sisters and cousins. They were really excited to help teach me how to put makeup, and we had a really silly photoshoot afterwards.

From that point onwards, I started gradually becoming more and more into makeup. I wouldn’t wear it out too much, but at home I used to practice and experiment a lot with it. I’ve gotten to the point now where I either  wear a full face of makeup or I won’t wear any at all, and I’m quite comfortable with both.

Thanks to Danielle Perelman Photography

A lot of people see makeup as “a mask”  or “a lie” that hides insecurities and plays into the worlds misconceptions about beauty. What is your response to these ideas?

I believe that makeup is really what you make of it. To me, it’s empowering. I feel like if people want to wear full face makeup or none at all that’s a choice, and I don’t think anyone should judge anyone else for it. But if you feel bad about yourself, makeup isn’t going to make you feel any better — that comes from within. Makeup to me is when you wake up in the morning feeling great and just want to add to that feeling, it’s a way to radiate that feeling through art.

Eye makeup by Alexa

What made you decide to grow your passion into a small scale business? What have you learned as an entrepreneur here at Brown and in the greater Providence community?

I started really charging for makeup second semester of my freshman year. It all started with people complimenting me and my makeup, and actually just doing my friends’ makeup for fun. I went from doing a couple of friends’ makeup to doing over 20 people for free, and that’s when I thought, “Hmm, maybe I should start capitalizing on this.” On top of that, I needed money to sustain my life here, so I thought to myself why not make money doing something that interests me, I have total control over and that would be fun to do?

That’s how the business started. I went from doing fashion shows and events at Brown to bigger clients like Miss. World Rhode Island. I really established my brand as a makeup artist this year, I started my Facebook Page and got my business cards which have really helped me to network well in the Providence Community.

Left to right: Dia de los Muertos look on Alexa, VSA 25th Anniversary Culture and Fashion Show, thanks to Danielle Perelman Photography

What do you think about the rising trend of “permanent makeup?” To you, do the results outweigh the risks?

First of all, I didn’t know that existed until recently. It doesn’t sound very safe. I feel like this trend plays off that whole message and idea that women feel so insecure now that they can’t even have a bare face.

Thanks to Danielle Perelman Photography

The idea that women have to use makeup to “hide” themselves is just wrong. To me, makeup adds on to the beauty and confidence a person already has. Whenever I’m doing clients’ makeup, I make sure they feel comfortable with what I’m putting on, and I let them know that they have to take off their makeup after their event as it can potentially damage their skin. So to sum up my response, it seems pretty dangerous, dumb and unnecessary.

Brown University