The freshman 411: What we’ve learned so far

What the new members of the Brown family are thinking

This week was jam packed with midterm preparation and general college business, as well as Halloween-related activities. But it also marks the half way point of the semester (yes I can hardly believe it either), so I caught up with some Brunonian freshman, Elise Hinkle, Nothando Adu-Gyamfi and Peter Baek, to see how their college experience is going so far:

What have you learned being at Brown ?

Elise: I’ve learned to assert myself more and look out for different opportunities that I may not have been confident enough to try out in high school. For example, I auditioned for BMP and I didn’t make it, but it was still a really fun experience, and helped to increase my self-confidence even more which was cool.

Nothando: Well, one of the most fundamental things I learned is humility. It’s alright to ask for help when you need it, even if it seems strange at first — it’s better than flunking that midterm. Also, although it is important to do your best that does not necessarily mean that you are THE best, which is okay.

How has Brown been different than what you expected?

Elise: I feel like I’ve spent a lot more time on Pembroke than I thought I was going to, I mean, I knew that it existed because I stayed here during ADOCH. But when I initially thought of Brown, I thought of the main green, and it’s a lot more than that.

Peter: Coming into Brown, I knew that it would be academically rigorous. I was expecting everyone to be super studious and work all the time. But I feel like Brown has more of a “work hard, play hard” atmosphere, and the people here have a very good balance between studying and social activities.

What is one thing you wish you had known before you arrived at Brown?

Peter: I was worried about leaving my friends and family back home and settling in. I wish I had known how many good friends I would make, and how friendly people are here.

Nothando: I wish I had known that Providence was extremely humid! My hair and I would’ve been extremely grateful.

Brown University