Expectations vs realities of fall

All that glitters is not gold

Ahh, fall. It’s that time of year you get to wear comfy sweaters, drink chai lattes and cuddle up with a nice book as the temperature begins to drop.

Or is it?

Unfortunately, especially if you’re from the South or California, fall isn’t really all it’s cracked up to be. I mean, sure it looks great in the movies, but some days it’s just plain summer with a cute dress on.

Here’s what I mean:

Expectation

THE LEAVES ARE GOING TO CHANGE COLORS AND I’M GOING TO JUMP IN ALL OF THE PILES AND CAMPUS IS GOING TO LOOK BEAUTIFUL.

Reality

That tree looks like Vin Diesel.

Expectation

“My makeup is going to look fierce/I finally get to wear dark lipstick!”

Reality

“My face is so crusty, no one’s going to look at me. I haven’t seen moisturizer in days. My lips are chapped beyond the point of salvation.”

Expectation

“I’m going to try ALL the fall beverages from Starbucks!”

Reality

I’ll get Blue Room coffee because I’m broke af but they give me to-go cups so it’s still #aesthetic.

Expectation

“FALL FASHION. I’m going to dress really well and wear scarves and boots and sweaters all the time I don’t care if I’m late to class.”

Reality

“I look like a hot mess I literally haven’t showered in three days and I’ve been wearing sweatpants with holes in them #midterms.”

Expectation

The temperature is going to drop nicely and evenly.

Reality

It kind of snowed the other day? And then the next day high was almost 80 degrees?

Expectation

I’m going to listen to Bon Iver without feeling pretentious.

Reality

I’m listening to Bon Iver and I’m feeling the most pretentious I’ve ever felt. Ever.

Expectation

FALL ACTIVITIES LIKE APPLE PICKING AND PUMPKIN CARVING.

Reality

There are about 20 uneaten apples rotting in my room and I gave up on carving the pumpkin halfway through so I dumped it behind the Ratty.

Expectation

OCTOBER=HALLOWEEN. SO I’M GOING TO WATCH HALLOWEEN/HORROR MOVIES EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

Reality

So far, I’ve watched Hocus Pocus, and I’ve lied about watching the Saw movies because I’m too scared to actually watch them.

Expectation

My Halloween costume is going to be creative and funny!

Reality

I’ll probably just write “book” on my face and call it a day.

Expectation

Hotline Bling will be Drake’s best video.

Reality

I’ve just been looping Adele’s new song because Champagne Papi really disappointed me.

Expectation

Pumpkin Spice everything.

Reality

Pumpkin Spice EVERYTHING.

Brown University