The spirit of Brown never dies

Tailgating Joaquin or the football game?

Remember that time we braved the threat of a hurricane to go to the Brown-URI football game?

Yeah. I do.

Brown was recently reported to have the the biggest sex drive. We also are voted to be the happiest and most attractive school in America. The Brown Spirit is thus not one to mess with, however, Athletic prowess is not high up on our claims to fame.

Note to self: The journey to Brown Stadium is not a walk in the park. Though conveniently located in the next state over, we braved the start of the hurricane to join the extremely spirited superfans of Brown athletics (and Hurricane Joaquin).

We could hear the blasting of the music from the end of the parking lot and the roars our fellow comrades screaming along to the lyrics of the music of our generation. Smoke filled the air as old-time American classics of burgers and hotdogs were set on the charcoal grills scattered around the area.

Clad in acceptable hurricane tailgating apparel, students were decked out in stylish winter jackets, snow pants, and waterproof boots.  Enduring the extremes for the sake of keeping the honor of Brown athletics, tailgaters came from all parts of campus, even from the foreign country of Pembroke Quad, to hype up the battle between our cross-state rival.  The ultimate fans of college football joined together in support of their compatriots — but the free food and free frostbite weren’t bad either.

As the clock struck 6pm, the game began, but the party never stopped. Doing what Brown students do best, they did away with times and deadlines and cheered on Brown’s best football players from the student parking lot.

As the masses began to trickle in an hour at the half, students screamed in excitement and surprise at the scoreboard as Brown held a lead going into the end of the second quarter. Combined with the cheers from the beloved Brown Cheerleading Squad, our athletic superfans sacrificed their lungs and vocal chords as they witnessed this historic moment in Brown’s Football history as Brown fought to win their fifth straight Governor’s Cup since 2011 in a battle that has gone on for 100 years.

Thanks to Brown Cheerleading

And just like that, we saw our lead fall faster in the last quarter than the temperature in Providence this past week as the possibility of a 0-3 record was close to becoming true. However, still healing from a massacre by the Crimson Red, Bruno would not live to take another loss (for only this week, of course).

To the delight of Brown students, in a step towards rebuilding the dignity of Brown athletics, and the prospect of a celebratory football rager that night, Brown captured the 41-31 win and celebrated their newly polished Superbowl-equivalent trophy.  URI took another hit in their record to 0-5 as they walked off the field, claiming that Brown’s footballs were deflated.

It was probably because we braved a freaking hurricane to support our team. There is only room for one University on the Island.  Get Loud, Go Bruno.

Brown University