Your words and comments have an impact on others at Boston College

We are “those” people. You and me. All of us.

Last night, our house went out to celebrate one of my roommates 21st birthday. Throughout the night, some of us ended up going our own directions. As I heading home, I ended up walking with some random BC guys.

Celebrating earlier that night

Throughout our conversation, I was interrupted by one of them asking, “are you one of those homosexuals…?”

First, how disrespectful of him to question my sexuality without knowing who I even am. I was primarily raised by women and I have more feminine traits, and I do not apologize for how I act or speak. Second and more importantly, what the hell do you mean by “those.” Do you mean by “those” thousands of people who don’t live up to society’s heteronormative assumption? Do you mean “those” who are human, but just identify differently? Do you mean “those” people who are part of your friends, family, and colleagues? “Those” people are no different than anyone else. They have names, they have feelings, and they are welcome to be who they want to be without facing discrimination from anyone.

Whether having dinner conversation or walking home from a late night, please always remember to speak of and treat others with respect. Referring to LGBTQ or other marginalized people as “those” is something extraordinarily and increasingly prevalent in American political discourse. The last thing we need is this type of prejudice, of treating normal people as “those.” Your words and comments do have an impact on others and you should be mindful of that.

Boston College