I got to listen my idol Megan Rapinoe speak at Cornell

She’s a soccer legend and all around bad-ass

While many BC students were living it up on spring break, enjoying beautiful beaches and warm weather, I was in Ithaca, NY, listening to Megan Rapinoe speak at Cornell University.

My older sister, Joanna, played a major role in organizing the event, so my parents, my sister, and I got to tag along and hang out with Megan Rapinoe before and after the event.

As an absolute fan-girl and all around awkward mess, I was completely star-struck the entire night.

Reaction post-Rapinoe

Rapinoe, a member of the USWNT, Olympic Gold Medalist, and Women’s World Cup Champion, came on behalf of Cornell’s branch of Athlete Ally, a non-profit organization that works to promote allies and advocates for LGBTQ members of sports communities.

The event was free and open to the public, and at least 700 people crowded the Cornell bleachers on a rainy Thursday night.

Morgan McKim, a Cornell sophomore and member of Athlete Ally, interviewed Rapinoe, and asked her questions about her childhood and progression of her soccer career, her experience coming out in college, her time as a member of the USWNT, the recent World Cup win/domination, and the still prevalent inequalities between male and female soccer players.

Both Rapinoe and McKim spoke with incredible grace and thoughtfulness on topics that many would find difficult to properly express.

Photos by Dana Daniels

The event was a total hit, and everyone left Newman Arena excited to have seen and heard the powerful message of such a soccer legend and all-around badass.

Boston College