Part 3: Eagles siblings talk about going to BC with their siblings

‘Jane keeps me young. I can eat at Mac and pretend that I am 18 again.’

This is the third part in a three-part series about siblings at BC. See Parts 1 and 2. Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

Going to BC with an older brother or sister means that you know which Perspectives section to take – and that the back door in the mods is key.

The Tab talked to Eagles with siblings at BC to find out what it’s like to have immediate fam at BC.

Mary Dahm (2015) and Jane Dahm (2018)

Did either of your parents go to BC? If not, have your parents become BC fanatics?

“No they don’t care at all [laughs]. Neither of our parents have ever been fanatics about sports team or colleges. They rather sit down and talk about Bernie Sanders.”

Best thing about having an older/younger sibling?
Jane: “I would just say having a piece of family at school with you. So it is almost practically impossible to get home sick because Mary is here. I remember waking up the first morning and thinking “Oh my god, this is where I am going to be for the next for years, my home is no longer my home and having all of that hit you.” And then I literally just thought “Mary is going to be there in three days” and it made everything okay again.”

Mary: “I agree with that.”

Worst thing about having an older/younger sibling?
Jane: “The worst thing is that Mary always says that I don’t spend any time with her when the truth of the matter is that I spend an absurd amount of time with her.  Then she goes back and tells my mom, aunts and cousins and says ‘Jane never wants to spend time with me’ and they are like ‘Oh Jane!!’ and my mom gets legitimately mad at me.’ And she lives off campus so it makes it even more difficult.”

How often do you eat together?
Jane: “I tell people we see each other once a week but we truthfully see each other more than that.”

Mary: “I would prefer if it was every day.”

How has your relationship changed since coming to BC? 
Jane: “When me and Mary were both in high school we did not get along that well. We fought all the time in high school and when Mary to college we started getting a lot closer because distance allowed us to get over the things we used to get so angry about. Once we were both at BC it remained the same”.

Do you feel like you’ve had to babysit at all?
Mary: “That is quite the opposite. Jane is more mature and better at handling life situations than I am.”

Jane: “Mary is very intellectual and I am more smart. I am regular smart like I have good work ethic and can get myself through school.”

Do you feel more connected to other grade levels at BC? 
Jane: “Not as much because Mary’s friend groups are secluded from the BC scene.”

Mary: “Jane keeps me young. I can eat at Mac and pretend that I am 18 again.”

Has it helped you get into mods/parties?
“Not really because me and Mary run in different circles and she is not really a mod type of girl. Her friends are into rock climbing and they have their circle.”

How did having an older sibling affect your decision to come to Boston College?
Jane: “Mary transferred from BC from the University of Michigan.”

Mary: “I thought Michigan was too big. I applied to BC out of high school and got in and I didn’t come because I thought it was too similar to our high school. We went to a Jesuit high school. Then when I changed my major to English and history, I wanted a more liberal arts school than a big state school.”

Jane: “My parents and grandparents wanted me to come to BC to be with Mary. It might’ve subconsciously be a factor but I don’t think it was that big of one.”

Phil Posillico (2015) and Mary Posillico (2018)

Did either of your parents go to BC? If not, have your parents become BC fanatics?
Mary: “Neither of our parents came to BC but we had a sister who graduated BC two years ago so I think having so many kids here definitely made them become fanatics.”

Best  thing about having an older/younger sibling?
Phil: “Traveling together is very convenient.”

Mary & Phil: “Nothing really.”

Phil: “It doesn’t bother me having her here.”

How often do you eat together?
Mary: “Not as often as we should. We share a meal plan but we don’t have to eat together.”

Phil: “If we see each other we will eat together and sometimes we’ll try and coordinate at least twice a month.”

Phil: “We have more in common. I can give her advice with stuff.”

Phil: “No she does her own thing. When she was a freshman, I tried to include her more to whatever I was doing but now it is not really necessary.”

Mary: “Last year when he had an off campus house it helped more so but this year I haven’t been receiving many invites.”

Mary: “Him and my older sister definitely impacted my decision to come to BC. I also loved BC too. It is easier to see the culture more when you have a sibling there. It is not like a regular tour, it is more in depth.”

Boston College