We talked to BC guys about their embarrassing Movember facial hair

‘My friends take pride in my facial hair, so it’s a collective effort’

The month of November used to be famous for Thanksgiving and the start of the Christmas season. Thanks to some guys (with poor excuses for facial hair), November is now Movember.

This November fad, when men don’t shave, typically raises awareness for men’s health issues. Movember started in 2003 and has since raised over $650 million, funded over 1,000 solutions in over 21 countries. It focuses on prostate cancer, testicular cancer, physical inactivity and men’s mental health.

The Tab sat down with some hairy guys to hear their thoughts on No Shave November and Movember.

Sophomore Jason Canavan, Finance and International Studies

(Yes, there really is a mustache there)

Why are you participating in Movember?

I’m participating for Movember to raise awareness for men’s health issues.

Unprompted: “I had a nightmare one night that I had shaved my mustache. I woke up in the morning and had to look really closely in the mirror to make sure it was still there. I was too in too deep to start over, this was 10 days in.”

Best and worst parts of having a mustache?

The best part about my mustache is being compared to Steve Murphy from Narcos. The worst part about my mustache is that it’s very blonde and hard to see.

Sophomore Kevin Reardon, Accounting Major

Why are you participating in Movember?

I’ve never seen myself with a mustache. Also, Kevin Love. He is my phone background and he is mustache goals.

How does your mom feel about this?

She doesn’t know yet. (Jason and Michael: “Neither does mine.”)

What do you do with your free time now that you don’t shave?
I look at my mustache.

Sophomore, Michael Mcgee, Finance and Accounting Major

Why are you participating in Movember?

I just wanna see how far this thing goes.

Do you ever wake up in the morning and forget that you have a mustache?

Well I first had the goatee going and then shaved it because I was waiting for my mustache to be more defined. I woke up every morning and debated shaving it.

Now I like to say I look like the friendly local park ranger.

I just touch my mustache.

Question posed to all three guys:

How has Movember impacted your game?

I can’t even describe it – it’s unbelievable.

It raises the stock price of our entire friend group.

Return on investment is high.

(CSOM, am I right?)

Senior Kevin O’Rourke, Accounting Major

Day 11: Coed practice with the girls team. Please help me change the face of men’s health here

Why are you participating in Movember?

Men are terrible at managing our health. Many have this idea that if you’re sick that means you’re weak which is nonsense. One story I always tell is that my brother in law contracted Lyme disease and tried to sleep it off. My sister convinced him to see a doctor because he was being crazy, men do not like to seek help.

Best and worst parts of having the mustache?

The reason Movember features guys with mustaches is because they are weird and spark conversation. It is also great walking around campus and seeing other guys that are growing their mustaches, it is an unspoken sign that we are all in this together. The worst part about the mustache is that I have to actually shave to trim the beard down to a mustache.

What does your family think about your involvement?

They are very supportive: a lot of my fundraising comes from friends and family. Not too many of them do it, but they are all used to me doing this every November for the past four years. I Instagram a picture every day of November, I find it funny and it starts the conversations we need.

Juniors Kevin Irace, Brendon Locklin, and Michael Graziano

Junior Michael Graziano, Applied Psychology Major

Why are you participating in No Shave November?

My brother dared me to – he is also participating. Shaving is also inconvenient.

Whose beard is better, you or your brother?

Mine is better – it fills in completely. His does not touch, which my family calls it the “Michelangelo Situation.” (Think Sistine Chapel).

I sleep in and spend longer brushing my teeth.

What does your mom think about this?

My mom hates it. She said not to come to Thanksgiving if I still have the beard. My Grandmother also hates it, pretty much the whole family does.

How has the beard impacted your game?

When you’re starting at 0, you can’t really go down from there.

Junior Brendon Locklin, Biology Major

How do you think the ladies feel about this?

They definitely hate it – half the boys trying cannot grow a beard for the life of them.

Best and worst parts of having a beard?

The best part of the beard is the fact that I finally have the opportunity to grow it for a reason. I also have a sense of accomplishment that I actually succeeded. The worst is that it is itchy as hell.

If you trim your beard is it really no shave November?

No. Let the monstrosity grow.

Junior Kevin Irace, Computer Science Major

Why are you participating in ‘No Shave November’?

Because I grow awesome facial hair. Also my friends take pride in my facial hair, so it’s a collective effort.

Sleep until the last possible minute.

They can handle it for the first week. Past that, its all downhill. They can deal with the stubble but not much more.

Junior Fouad Boutros, Communications Major, Management and Leadership Minor

Why are you participating in Movember?

In the past I have participated because of the partnerships you can do with charities. I think it’s a pretty unique and inclusive way to give back and you see hundreds of thousands of men, specifically college guys, participate in Movember.

This year I was a little late to that party so I’m just growing it to grow it. I’ll probably have it gone by Thanksgiving Dinner though… My mom doesn’t like it this long.

Best and worst parts of having a beard?

Best part is definitely looking older. Being able to grow a full beard at a young age is really nice because people look at you and treat you as if you are older than you really are.

The worst part about having a beard is definitely at the 1-2 week point where it’s itchy. It gets super irritating especially in class when you’re tired or bored and that’s the first thing you notice.

If you trim your beard is it really No Shave November?

Definitely not. You’re allowed to clean some areas up, but a full on trim doesn’t count.

Boston College