Maps reveal traffic-related deaths in BC’s most popular spots

Game days don’t help

Released last week, an interactive map which tracks all traffic deaths illustrates just how dangerous the area around Boston College really is. 

The map’s information came from Department of Transportation’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), which reports that over half of all traffic fatalities are due to alcohol, speeding, and distracted driving.

Boston College’s central location near the city and the spots in which students tend to socialize – including bars and stadiums – were evaluated and reveal that we are more at risk than we probably ever imagined.

Boston College

The surrounding areas show more fatalities than the campus itself, as there are few roads that cars can drive through on campus.

The Mall at Chestnut Hill

Newton Center

Speeding resulted in the most deaths in a spot in which people are rushing to get to the pharmacy or do smaller errands.

Mary Ann’s and Cityside

In general, pedestrians in general were the victims with inconclusive causes of the driver’s fault, suggesting possible hit-and-runs.

A BC bar hotspot has less deaths than areas around it, but its location near a T-Stop and apartments makes it dangerous to pedestrians.

Patron’s

Fenway Park

It is likely that drinking during games led to the high number of alcohol-related fatalities, in which the drivers were affected seemingly as much as the pedestrians.

Boston College