Sexual Chocolate is the dance crew lighting up BC

Not just boots, but brothers

As the only all-male step dance crew on Boston College’s campus, Sexual Chocolate not only steps it up with killer, jaw-dropping dances and high-energy performances, but prides itself on its demonstration of respect, discipline, and success.

Sexual Chocolate isn’t just about making fans scream for the smooth moves – it is truly a group based on brotherly love and support. Jeremy Baldwin, senior captain and president, also known as “Latino Cappuccino,” defined the group as they enter their 2015-2016 season.

He said: “We are a brotherhood. We work together to create young, successful men in all aspects of life.”

Jeremy, along with co-captains senior Owie Agbontaen and junior Osamase Ekhator, emphasized Sexual Chocolate’s focus on mentoring younger members to not only be great dancers, but also great gentlemen who have the tools to graduate as successful individuals both on the dance floor and as leaders in the greater community.

From left to right: Osamase, known as “Cocoe Maestro,” is an English major and African Studies minor. Jeremy, “Latino Cappuccino,” is a Psych major with a Marketing minor. Owie, also known as “Scream S’more,” is a Communications major and African studies minor

When asked if there were any common misconceptions about the group, Osamase said, “We are not strippers in boots.”

Though they wear their black Timberlands and rock the stage at Showcase and other events with stimulating, provocative choreographies, the captains were quick to note there is much more to SC.

Osamase added: “Sexual Chocolate isn’t about the hypersexualization of our bodies. We are here to express our bodies through step, and as express ourselves as brothers through dance.”

Another misconception is the fraternal aspect of the squad.

SC was initially created during BC’s 1999 Options Through Education OTE summer program by a group of four college guys who were disappointed that there was no Greek life on campus since BC is a Jesuit Institution. However, Sexual Chocolate is not a frat.

SC’s membership and alumni network stretches across all different backgrounds, uniting many cultures within the dynamic group.

Each year, a week-long tryout is held. Perspective steppers train and dance with the crew,  ultimately performing on the last day to determine whether or not they have earned a spot.

The 2015-2016 Sexual Chocolate team

Owie said: “This year, five freshman and one new sophomore were added out of a competitive group of around 30 auditions, and each incoming dancer is paired with another member of the squad who is their ‘brother’ on the team and go-to person, not only for dance, but for any sort of help.”

Fans often inquire as to how a Sexual Chocolate member get his catchy SC nickname.

Jeremy said: “They just come to us naturally.”

This group of brothers embodies spirit towards and dedication to dance, school and other interests, and compassion and energy towards being the best they can be. They rely on each other. SC has a large following at BC as one of the top dance groups on campus and more fans expanding into the greater Boston area for their uplifting routines and unique presentation as an all-male team and family.

Coming up, Sexual Chocolate will be performing at the end of the Hispanic Heritage Month, and of course, mark your calendars for the annual and treasured Valentine’s Day performance!

Sexual Chocolate at their 2015 Showcase

Boston College