Tulsa, Oklahoma is a little quirky and so very charming

No, I don’t live in a teepee

hometown

I moved over 700 miles away from my hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma, to Auburn, Alabama, before I realized all of the great things Tulsa has to offer. Tulsa has a charm that’s like your weird cousin you only see once a year at a family gathering – he’s kinda quirky, kinda fun, kinda sketchy, but you still want to catch up with him and hear his stories.

So, before you start asking if I live in a teepee or if I rode a horse to school, let me give you a run down of the highlights that made the first 18 years of my life so memorable, and why I’m proud to call Tulsa my hometown.

QuikTrip

Photo courtesy of QuikTrip’s Facebook page

Alright, I know some of you southerners might think, “what’s so great about a convenient store?” and “why is it so popular?” It just so happens that while QuikTrip is located in the Carolinas and Atlanta, it was founded in the great state of Oklahoma.

If you have never been to a QuikTrip, it is the classiest convenient store you will ever lay eyes on. Their taquitos are out of this world.

Brookside

Brookside is a trendy neighborhood in Tulsa’s midtown area filled with high-end shops and locally owned restaurants. While there are many different restaurants with whatever food your heart desires, Brookside By Day is a crowd favorite.

But if you’re planning on eating at BBD, make sure you’re ready to get in line and wait. The restaurant has some bomb pancakes and waffles that keep the place packed, especially on weekend mornings. And that brings me to…

Tulsa’s food

I actually cried when this happened

While I could write an entire article about the incredible food options that Tulsa has to offer, I’m going to give you my top three choices, in no specific order. First, Old School Bagel. Old School has turned me into snobbiest bagel fanatic ever, but there is zero shame. Not to mention, their homemade giant cookies are actually sent straight from heaven.

Second, Arizona Mexican Restaurant. Hands down the best Mexican food I have ever had. Arizona is family owned and operated and continues to be a staple when I go home for breaks. Lastly, Keo Asian Cuisine. Located on Brookside, Keo offers an array of Asian dishes, but my favorite is their Malaysian chicken fried rice. It is one of those dishes you could eat every day and never get tired of it.

Cain’s Ballroom

Photo courtesy of Cain’s Twitter page

Cain’s Ballroom is a concert venue, but also a Tulsa Legend. Cain’s has been around since the 20s and continues to uphold great pride in hosting some of the greatest musicians alive. Cain’s has hosted everyone from Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys to the Sex Pistols to A$AP Ferg.

The nightlife

When it comes to entertainment and nightlife, downtown Tulsa is where you want to be. The Blue Dome District is extremely popular and filled with clubs and bars. Within the last decade, the city of Tulsa has worked hard to make the downtown area a lively place for those 20-somethings who need a good night out on the town.

In addition, an ironically named bowling alley and lounge, The Dust Bowl, is a hot spot where many people go to bowl and have a few drinks after work. Or you can hang out later in the evening, as the Dust Bowl is open until 2am.

Whether you are moving to Tulsa permanently or just passing through, you can always find something to do.

Auburn University