Dear high school seniors: I chose Auburn and you should, too

Because there’s nothing like a Toomer’s lemonade on a sunny day

Growing up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, I was certain I would attend a school that was close to home so I could be near my family. I remember all of my friends talking about wanting to attend schools so far away in cities I couldn’t pronounce, and I just knew that wasn’t for me.

It wasn’t until spring of my junior year, when I began to explore other options, that I came across a school I was unfamiliar with but caught my eye: Auburn University.

The summer before my senior year, my dad and I took a road trip to the great state of Alabama. We figured, if anything, it would be a great bonding experience. It turned out to be so much more. Over 750 miles, some Toomer’s lemonade and one campus tour later, I couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else but Auburn University.

Upon arriving back home, I applied early decision to Auburn with no hesitation. I was excited, nervous and every emotion in between. Since my mom wasn’t able to go with us on our summer trip, I talked her into attending a football game with me – the 2013 Iron Bowl, to be exact.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. “YOU WERE THERE FOR THE KICK SIX, THE STORMING OF THE FIELD, THE DEFEATING OF THE CRIMSON TIDE!” Yes, this is all true…except I was outside of the stadium. We left early because the game didn’t look like it was going anywhere and we wanted to beat the crowd. That was, until the entire stadium erupted with screaming fans, Chris Davis ran the ball back and Auburn won the football game. Moral of the story: never leave an Auburn game early.

If you’re still trying to decide between a few schools but Auburn is on the top of your list, here are a few reasons I love being a part of the Auburn family. I know you will, too.

The athletics and school spirit

I can’t begin to describe the energy that the student sections exude. From Jordan-Hare to the Auburn Arena, the student body really shows up to support our athletes win or lose.

Fall is especially exciting because white tents for tailgating go up on Thursdays before home football games. It really gets students looking forward to kicking back and enjoying time with friends and family before the big game.

Exploring the area

If you love the outdoors and enjoy hiking or just hanging out in your Eno with a good book, Chewacla is the place to be. There are so many biking and hiking trails, and it even offers camping sites. It’s a great place to get away from the stress of classes.

Our academics

Not only do we have an award-winning mascot, but we also have award-winning academics. Auburn is ranked among the top five hardest schools to receive an A.

The entertainment

There is always something going on around town. Auburn University Program Council (or UPC) is great at bringing big name artists to town for free concerts for the students. This picture is of me fan-girling at last year’s Auburn Airwaves featuring Nick Jonas. NBD.

The small town vibe

While the university itself has just under 30,000 students, there is still a small town vibe that makes it an extremely comfortable and inviting place to live. Pups love it, too.

Auburn University