‘Our roots run deep’: Auburn’s Ag Week 2016 was a major success

The week was complete with a petting zoo, carnival and a mechanical bull

Last week, students and organizations in the College of Agriculture educated the Auburn student body on the importance of agriculture. From a petting zoo on the green space to a huge carnival equipped with a mechanical bull, the week was packed full of events allowing non-Ag majors to experience the course for a few days.

Ag Week is organized by the Auburn University Ag Council and each event is hosted by a College of Agriculture organization and its members.

The first event of the week was the Petting Zoo hosted by Block and Bridle and AU Young Farmers. Block and Bridle is a large animal based club in the College of Agriculture that focuses on animal handling and experiencing the animal industry.

AU Young Farmers is an organization connected with the Alabama Farmers Federation’s Young Farmers Program. The group provides students the opportunity to stay active in the Young Farmers program while in school. They also offer a network focused in agriculture to all students. Students were able to come by the green space and enjoy some quality time with their favorite farm animal.

Photo credit: Charles Tatum

On Tuesday, the Ag Carnival took place at Ag Heritage Park. The carnival was open to the public from 5-7pm and had a variety of games and food courtesy of Ag Council.

Wednesday brought a delicious picnic on Ag Hill hosted by the sisters of Sigma Alpha Professional Ag Sorority. $7 got you a chicken or catfish plate complete with fries, hushpuppies, coleslaw and a brownie. In addition, students and faculty had the opportunity to give blood in honor of Sigma Alpha sister Michelle Bufkin’s father David Bufkin who passed last spring.

Michelle’s mother, Teresa, stopped by the picnic and dressed up as Perry the Bull, Sigma Alpha’s mascot.

Thursday morning, different departments within the College of Ag handed out information and engaged with students and faculty on the Haley Concourse with some interactive games.

Lastly, “Get Ag-tive” ended the week. Ag Ambassadors and other Ag clubs spoke to local elementary school students about agriculture and where their food comes from at the Ham Willson Livestock Area.

Aubie and sophomore Crop, Soil and Environmental Science major Will Howard Wendland power point their way through Get Ag-tive.

Auburn University