I’m a guinea pig for the AU MRI Research Center

Not many people can say they frequently check out their own brain

For the last two semesters, I’ve volunteered as a guinea pig for the AU MRI Research Center. What does that mean? It means I’ve gotten a close look at my brain on more than one occasion.

The center, which opened in 2010, pays students who participate in research, so anyone interested in the technology can just walk in to have their head scanned.

The Tab Auburn sat down with Dr. Tom Denny, director of the MRI center. Denny helped develop one-of-a-kind MRI equipment big enough to scan large animals.

What kinds of things do you research here?

Here at the MRI center, we do research on both animals and humans. We can scan the brain and the heart.

What is it like working here?

Each day has its own unique twist to it. No day is like the other – different people use the MRI for their own experiments and research, so there is always something new to discover.

Can any student sign up to get scanned?

Yes, but there are some requirements. If you have any metal, you can’t get scanned.

What time does the work begin?

We usually start scanning around 10am till around 11pm at night.

What do you guys do with the research?

We gather the information from the scans and write them into research papers for grant money.

How can the AU student body help?

By volunteering for scans with Martha Forloines, the Recruitment Coordinator here at the MRI center.

Any weird stories about the MRI center?

I wouldn’t say these are weird, but I can say we have had interesting scans. We’ve scanned one of the eagles here that fly during football games.

Who has the coolest brain in the MRI center?

Well, I have the coolest brain, of course.

Any cool MRI jokes for us all?

How are the magnets at the MRI center? Pretty attractive. This joke literally made me fall onto the floor laughing.

Auburn University