AU business bros won $10,000 by designing a campus parking app

We’re calling them when we can’t find parking before the football games

We all know how much parking sucks at Auburn, but three AU students – Brandon Edison, Jonathan Philip and Alex Wakefield – are making it a little easier to find an empty spot. The trio designed an app called Parking Grid Technologies that locates available parking on campus and tells you where to drive – and they won $10,000 by competing in Auburn’s Tiger Cage competition.

The Tab Auburn met up with the young entrepreneurs at Little Italy to talk about their app and winning last year’s competition.

Jonathan (left), Brandon (middle), Alex (right)

How did you guys meet?

Well, Jonathan and I knew each other back in high school, while I met Brandon as my electrical engineering teacher. Jonathan and I were at a tailgate when I was reunited with Brandon. We were looking for someone to help us with the electrical side of our parking detection system, so everything fell into place.

Of all the things you could have designed, why a parking app?

Because we saw the problem, and almost immediately, we decided it was important to help fix it.

How long have you guys been working on the system?

We’ve actually been working on the system since last October and are nearing completion.

So what is the Tiger Cage competition all about?

It’s a competition similar to the show Shark Tank, in which students compete for the prize of $10,000 to secure funding for their products.

How did you feel after winning the competition?

We were on cloud nine for a while.

What is it like seeing your dreams become reality?

Well, ever since we won the Tiger Cage competition, the production of our app has accelerated. We started developing the app this October, but the idea was formed during our freshman year at Auburn.

What is it like being an AU student and an entrepreneur?

Brandon: It’s a rush in a sense, a lot of time management and prioritizing. There are low points when you want to give up, but you can’t because you have others depending on you to succeed, and of course, you want to succeed yourself.

How do you get out of these low points?

Jonathan: Sometimes when you are working, everything hits the fan. I remember one time I broke everything. But I had to take a step back and analyze the situation because we can’t move on unless everyone is working in unison.

How have you guys changed personally while working on the app?

Alex: I’ve matured a lot. It takes a team effort to reach any goal worthwhile.

Jonathan: It’s been a positive experience and I think positive experiences help create a positive world.

Brandon: My ability to prioritize has gotten better.

In the hunt for a perfect parking space, from now on we’re looking to Brandon, Alex and Jonathan.

Auburn University