Meet Joc Rivera, better known as ‘the ukulele guy’

He’s probably the most famous person you know

Joc Rivera is a crowd favorite within the Auburn community, but you may know him instead as “the ukulele guy.” The junior English Education major can be found strumming his ukulele – weather permitting – on the Haley Concourse nearly every afternoon.

We caught up with Joc to ask a few questions, hoping he would give us a crash course on what it takes to uphold his highly-coveted local legend title.

So, why the ukulele?

I always wanted to play the ukulele growing up but never had the chance. When I got to Auburn, I had a good friend who knew how to play so he taught me the basics. I began teaching myself songs and it kind of took off from there.

I started playing on campus and I found it made people smile. That’s why I do it – to make people smile.

What has been your weirdest encounter?

One time a guy saw me playing and went back to his dorm to get a guitar – he wanted to duel. He definitely won.

Do you think you will incorporate your musical talents into teaching?

I hope so. I think I’ll be able to find a way to merge the two. If all else fails, I’d like to work on a cruise ship.

Can you play any other instruments?

Unfortunately, no. Well, except the tuba. I played the tuba in high school. I was also accidentally enrolled in concert choir, so I enjoy singing.

We’ve heard rumors of a Ukulele Club – is this true?

Yes. In fact, I started the club and we have 16 active members. We learn numbers together and go to different places to play – specifically, Monarch Retirement Home and the Early Learning Center. It’s awesome to see people of all ages, from kids to senior citizens, up and dancing.

Auburn University