Senior year expectations vs. realities at Auburn

Selena Gomez was right, ‘everything is not what it seems’

For some, senior year can seem daunting. Relatives expect you to know what you’re doing after graduation. When you were a freshman, you probably had expectations for your senior year and thought you would have your life figured out by then.

But for most students, like myself, this is sadly not the case.

Expectation: No more wild nights

You’ve been in college for four years now – unless you’re on the victory lap track, which is fine, too. Stay as long as you’d like. You thought your partying days were going to be over. You’re an adult now, so of course you’re going to use your time wisely to study now more than ever.

Reality: Fit in as much partying as you can

In reality, you go out Wednesday through Saturday once you remember your college days are over in a few short months. Ashley also reminded you she’s moving across the country, so naturally you have to live up y’all’s last days together.

Expectation: You’ll have a plan for your life

Freshman year, you thought you would have your life plan together by senior year. You already envisioned your life in a big city with a great job, and you’d be living in a lavish apartment with your best friend right across the hall from you.

Reality: Your life has no direction

Fast-forward to senior year and you’ve finally chosen a major, but you still don’t know what direction your life is headed in. All you know is the name of the next Netflix show you’re watching.

Expectation: You’ll be mature

When you were younger, do you remember thinking 17-year-olds were adults and had their lives together? At this point, you thought you would be in bed by 9pm and reading self-help books to better yourself.

Reality: You’re still kind of immature

In reality, you’re calling shotgun and fighting with your friends for the front seat. You’re even fighting over who takes the first picture with santa. By the way, you can only call shotgun when the car is in sight – not when you’re still in the store, in your house, or just out and about.

Expectation: You host sophisticated dinner parties

At this point, you probably expected to have really sophisticated social gatherings where you stood around with friends discussing life’s greatest secrets. Robert is sipping on scotch by the fireplace, Jill is in the back of the room arguing about something Socrates said and you’re pretending like you know what’s going on.

Reality: Cheap wine

But really, you and your friends are drinking cheap wine, eating pizza and crying over the boyfriends you don’t have.

You can reach your Fitbit goal of 10,000 steps from a night out

Expectation: You’re in the best shape of your life

So you’ve already gained and lost the freshman 15, but now it’s time for you to get into serious shape. You plan on being Victoria Secret Fashion Show ready by the end of college. You’ll go to the gym five days a week, and instead of checking out the hot guys lifting weights, you’re actually breaking a sweat.

Reality: What’s a gym?

Your workouts include dancing at the bar, speed walking away to avoid talking to that weirdo you matched with on Tinder and doing sit-ups to grab the remote to watch the Kardashians. You can’t miss their latest family drama, duh.

We promised we’d start saving money after this meal

Expectation: You’re a gourmet chef

Your house is the go-to house for dinners. All of your friends are dying to try the new dish you made. You’ve finally perfected your filet mignon served over garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus.

Reality: Lots of pizza

Wrong, again. In October, you’re crying when all of your dining dollars are gone, so you end up eating out every night, praying for the new seamster to begin.

Expectation: Saving money is your specialty

Each month, you will have a budget where you dedicate a set amount of money for groceries, entertainment, gas and rent.

Reality: I’m broke

Unfortunately, you’re not Lil Dicky, so you haven’t mastered the art of saving money. Instead, midway through the month you open your bank account, squint your eyes and pray you have enough money to order pizza or go to dinner.

One day

Expectation: Marriage

I’m from the South and girls like to settle down really early here. Like, seriously early. They step foot on campus and are already on the prowl for their husband. So at this point, you thought you would be settling down with your bae and casually dropping subtle hints that you’re ready for him to pop the question.

Reality: More Tinder swiping

No, no, no – not the case. You’re currently swiping away on Tinder hoping the next guy doesn’t message you some cheesy/creepy pickup line. Or you’re busy photoshopping yourself with your celeb crush.

Basically, you still don’t feel like an adult and you’re just trying to figure out what your next steps are. And that’s okay. So go out with friends, eat a whole pizza by yourself (not often because you’ll regret it later), and binge watch Netflix.

Sure, the “real world” is around the corner, but we’ll worry about that later.

Auburn University