How to nail Arizona tailgate style

Tips and tricks to make sure your outfit is game day ready!

Attending the first tailgate of football season is exhilarating. Seeing friends and making new ones on top of showing crazy amounts of school spirit is one of the most exciting times of the year. Sure, it is hot as ever, but the cold beer, cheering and pictures make the days fly by… Especially when the festivities begin as early as nine or 10 in the morning.

If you have never attended a tailgate, you may show up and feel out of the loop because, at least at the University of Arizona, there seems to be an almost standard of appropriate tailgate apparel. Here are three tips and tricks to making sure your outfit will not only meet these expectations, but have you looking great and spirited for game day:

Pick your color scheme

The perfect outfit will incorporate all of the UA’s school colors, but in a way that is not overwhelming and coordinates perfect with the rest of the outfit and accessories. For example, a pair of white or blue jean shorts paired with a red Arizona shirt is simple, cute and fun – perfect for a warm day at the stadium. For the guys out there, never has an Arizona polo looked as spirited than at a tailgate. With a pair of khaki shorts or something more casual, you are sure to look good.

Ryan Betcher (left) and Alex Brettell (right) showing their game day spirit.

Determine your accessories

Picking out accessories is dependent upon the outfit you decide on. For example, if you are wearing a pair of Chucks, many times girls will wear high Arizona socks to bring another element to the outfit. Other times, a backwards hat may be the perfect touch to a tank and shorts. You can never go wrong with face stickers, lipstick or fanny packs as well. While this section is not as applicable to guys, there are still ways to spice up your outfit if you want to bring a little more to the table. For example, high socks and hats are options for you as well.

Maddy Fretto (left), Danni Cohen (middle left), Wilbur (middle right) and Gabby Milillo (right) accessorize their game day apparel through face stickers, hats and curly hair.

The perfect hairstyle

While sometimes a ponytail with a hat can make doing your hair as simple as can be asked for, there are some outfits that call for a little more work in regards to the hairstyle. For example, a curled half-ponytail can make a very simple outfit out to be a lot cuter than if no real effort was put into the hairstyle. Another option is to wear an Arizona beaded headband (that anyone who attends the school can imagine without have to actually see it) from the bookstore. Guys, throw on a cap, gel it back or rock the bed head. Regardless, your outfit will “go” with any of those hairstyles.

TJ Hauptman (left) and Brooke Cappel (right) keep their hair casual, but festive by wearing an Arizona hat and a headband.

Using any of these tips will help you look great on game day! Remember to incorporate your own twist on everything – make your outfit YOU! Fashion and style are arts of their own, so personalize your outfit as you see fit.

University of Arizona