Why UA is the best school in AZ and probably the world

My decision to Bear Down is one I will never regret

When people think of UA, they just think of Tucson, Arizona, which I admit is not the most aesthetically pleasing city in the state of Arizona, let alone the nation or the world, but it totally feels like home to me and that is something that makes the UA so great for the students who attend the university.

The UA has so much to offer

Clubs ranging from Compost Cats to ASUA to organizations that plan events on campus are offered. Within each major, even, there are clubs that students can join to network with peers earning the same degree and the faculty they will likely be taught by throughout their years at school.

These more personal clubs within academic programs are really beneficial to students because they offer not only networking opportunities, but are useful for having résumés, cover letters and portfolios reviewed. For example, the journalism department hosts an event called “Pizza and Portfolios” in which local journalists and UA faculty will review these items in addition to photographs, video clips and reels the students have produced for their portfolio.

Sami Springs (left) and Michael Rabbani (right) are part of Students for Sustainability at the UA.

The sports

While academic success is something each department strives for at this university, it is no secret athletics is huge. In fact, the UA is ranked #19 for athletic departments across the nation and #17 for students packing the stadium at these events, according to the Princeton Reviews. Definitely known for the men’s basketball program, the UA has not only had legacy Lute Olson as head coach and several current NBA players play for the school, Head Coach Sean Miller has made his mark on the program since joining before the 2008 – 2009 season.

Since then, he has led the Arizona Wildcats to three Elite Eight Championships in 2011, 2014 and 2015. Although 2016 was not as successful, high hopes are set for the coming 2016 – 2017 season. Furthermore, the football program may not have a ton of championships claimed, but the Arizona Wildcats who attended or watched the game against Oregon in which the Cats earned a “W” off a Hail Mary pass will never be forgotten. The baseball and softball programs at the university are also very successful, having titles claimed and nearly earned several years in a row.

Hannah Chamberlin (left), Sammy Rosenthal (middle) and Abbey Roberts (right) show their Arizona school spirit on game day!

The party scene

Finally, the nightlife. Everybody knows Arizona Wildcats do get pretty wild on the weekends – even the Chainsmokers gave us a shout-out in their latest song, “Closer.” While many parents who read this story would not like to know this (including my own), age is but a number when it comes to going out at night here in the Dirty T. Underclassmen flood the frat houses, while upperclassmen (and I suppose those with fake IDs) hit the bars on University, Fourth Ave and Downtown Tucson.

Having experience in both settings, I have to say that regardless of where you are, you will have fun in the nightlife atmosphere surrounding the university. If you do not agree, go check out a couple of the videos “I’m Shmacked” has produced after a Tucson weekender, and you’ll get the idea. Tailgates, house parties, Dead Day Eve before finals, syllabus week and so much more give students a reason to go out and have a good time with friends and peers. Plus, there is no better way to meet people and network… Just get home safely like mom and dad would want you to.

The food

Like most college towns, Tucson has a crazy amount of food choices around campus you can’t beat. Even better? There are so many options at 3 am when you have a bit of the “drunchies,” or you just are not ready to go home after the bars close. While most of these are not the healthiest of choices, what does nutrition really matter after a night of beers and cocktails? For example, Taco Shop, the infamous Highland Burritos, Mama’s Barbecue, Brooklyn Pizza, Illegal Pete’s, Empire Pizza and so many more local eateries are convenient to stop at on your way home from a night out. On the other hand, there are also other places like Ra, North, Blanco, and the Hub are nicer places that work great for a dinner out with friends or for a fun date night.

Another day, another group photo in the Dirty T

As previously mentioned, the UA feels like home to me. Sure, I love going home to my small town of Cave Creek and getting home-cooked meals from my mom, but nothing beats the feel of being in Tucson with all my friends from across the nation. I love how the students are always geared up in Arizona shirts, hats and shorts each day on campus, and how everyone cheers on our school at sporting events no matter what.

My teachers have become some of my greatest inspiration; my peers, healthy competition. Despite the hard math and science class freshman year, or the lack of social life I had for some time, I would not trade my experience at the UA for anything else because it has made me who I am and allowed me to decide who I want to become. With over 40,000 students enrolled here, it seems impossible for everyone to feel like family, but what makes the UA the best school ever is that they do. Tucson and the university bring the students together in such a unique way which really emphasizes whythe saying is, “Wildcat for life.”

University of Arizona