Why Cave Creek is Arizona’s hidden gem

From cowboy boots to high heels, Cave Creek is the epitome of what it is like to live in a small town next to a big city

Small Town, Big City

Located 20 minutes north of Scottsdale, Arizona, small town Cave Creek is found the suburbs of a big city. In the town, events are held that bring the community together in which it truly does feel like a small town where everyone knows everyone – parades, school functions, fundraisers, rodeos and festivals are a few examples. However, when these boundaries creep in a little too close, beautiful Scottsdale is right there to provide people with more of a city-like lifestyle of shopping, eating, drinking and sports.

A picture of the lights and palm trees at Scottsdale Quarter taken by Mackenzie Swaney.

The people of Cave Creek

Cave Creek is so unique when it comes to the culture and community that inhibit it. For example, driving through Old Town Cave Creek, it would not be out of the ordinary to see a group of cowboys tying up their horses outside of Harold’s Corral. On the other hand, groups of bikers will also be cruising through the town over to the Hideaway Grill Biker Bar. Finally, the number of students and families who dwell in the town fill more popular, modern businesses like Bryan’s Barbecue, Big Earl’s and the Dairy Queen that was founded in 1985.

Bryan and Donna Dooley, owners of Bryan’s Black Mountain Barbecue appreciate the western atmosphere of Cave Creek, Ariz. by wearing cowboy hats the day of the Fiesta Days Parade.

Wild West Vibes

People not from Cave Creek are oftentimes overwhelmed by the Wild West environment that defines the city. On the other hand, “Creekers” embrace cowboy hats and boots paired with a flannel shirt and blue jeans tied together with a flashy belt. The Buffalo Chip restaurant (which is currently being reconstructed after a fire over Thanksgiving) even hosts live bull riding. So if a Wild West weekend is needed, Cave Creek is the place to go.

Sure, it is not luxurious and elegant Scottsdale, Arizona, but sometimes going about things with a small town perspective is not so bad. In fact, many of the business owners in Cave Creek are raising families themselves. This brings the community together in a very unique way because the local businesses work with the schools and vice versa for fundraisers, for example.

The view from Black Mountain in Cave Creek, Arizona taken by Mackenzie Swaney.

Growing up in Cave Creek, Arizona has definitely had its advantages and disadvantages, but the majority of students who grow up in the town always have that feeling of what “home” is. Aside from the dusty cowboy boots and saloon-style bars, Creekers have a sense of pride in where they come from because they appreciate the quirks and character Cave Creek has to offer.

University of Arizona