Spending Independence Day in star-spangled Spreckles, CA

A All-American 4th of July

I am forever imprinted by small towns, their distinct personalities, and the people they are comprised of.  If you’ve ever had the chance to open up a John Steinbeck book or check the back of a few produce packagings, you’d eventually come across my home of 17 years; Salinas, California. Small little town with a whole lot of history.

Spreckels sits just off of Highway 68 in Salinas. Picture a utopian, green grass, white-pickett fenced, American neighborhood and you’d be experiencing this community. Spreckels is the closest place I have ever been to compare to a perfect living space.

Every year at the center of the neighborhood, the Spreckels Memorial Park hosts their 4th of July event.  I’ll be missing one of my favorite traditions this year while I’m away for college, but will be able to last until next year knowing exactly how this Monday will turn out – since the event has been arranged in the same fashion for 45 years.  

For early risers, or those just wanting to get a head-start before the (true marathon) day-long feast of BBQ, chips, and apple pie, there is a youth-1-mile, 5k, and 10k run beginning at 7:30 a.m. While this goes on, food tents are being pitched on the lawn by local programs and organizations. Boy/Girl Scout Troops, schools, Pop Warner football & cheerleading teams, and so on are sure to cover all snow cone, popcorn, and hot dog cravings of the day. In the meantime, craft booths are also setting up. Candles, jewelry, clothing, artwork, and fun crafts are all provided by local vendors.  The park’s lawn quickly begins to fill up as families set up their own tents, chairs, and mini-barbeque sets.

The main attraction, the 4th of July parade, is children walking with miniature American flags in hand, sporting their group, team, or organization attire. The parade continues on as a various selection of old cars, tractors, and firetrucks cruise by.  Chevrolet Bel Air’s, Cadillacs, and Hudson Hornets bring such a classic flare to the event. The vehicles are usually decorated with American themed streamers and flags, with a decked out driver and passengers to match. The passengers throw out candy, giving the little ones even more excitement as they flood the streets.After the parade, the afternoon is spent walking around the craft fair, socializing on the main lawn, listening to live music, petting every red and blue bandanda’ed dog that walks by (maybe that’s just me), and trying to rally through that marathon of delicious food previously mentioned.  Ask around our small town, this event remains as a family favorite in celebrating 4th of July.

University of Arizona