All the ways to celebrate the Fourth in Cave Creek, AZ

How does your patriotism party go down?

If you grew up in Cave Creek, you can generally identify as a hybrid between a small town kid and big city kid (thanks to Scottsdale being so close to the old Western town).

Alex Brettell (left) and Mackenzie Swaney (right) have grown up in Cave Creek, Ariz. Both attend the University of Arizona, but Cave Creek will always be “home.”

Fourth of July traditions are the same way, depending on how you and the group you will be celebrating with decides to identify that year. It seems that there are four major ways in which Cave Creekers practice their patriotism: laying low in Old Town Cave Creek, going to house parties, hitting the lake or even escaping the Arizona heat for the ocean air at Mission Beach.

Fourth of July in Old Town Cave Creek

Brooke Cappel (left), Dani Zalewski (middle) and Jessica Noll (right) relaxed in town watching fireworks for the Fourth of July.

Spending the Fourth of July this way is a tradition for many local families growing up. “Setting up camp” in the Harold’s Corral parking lot (now shared with the Buffalo Chip) and watching fireworks seemed to be everybody’s plans. While this is still what many people (families, kids and teens alike) organize with friends and family, many Creekers will eat at other local barbecue restaurants like Bryan’s Black Mountain Barbecue and the Silver Spur or park at Stage Coach Village due to the increasing number of people who spend their Fourth of July in the town.

Fourth of July House Party Style

Cactus Shadows alumni celebrate the Fourth “house party style.” Appropriately, Team USA won this Beer Olympics tournament.

Many house parties are also thrown over the Fourth of July weekend. This allows for those who have gone to different colleges, some even out-of-state, to reunite and celebrate such an important weekend together. Often, a Beer Olympics tournament is held in which several kids break into teams representing various countries and have an “Olympics” of beer games.

It seems that this weekend makes people really feel like summer break is finally here. “Coming home” for the summer is not just moving back to Cave Creek with the ‘rents, but reuniting with a greater family of friends and neighbors. The house parties are a reminder of where we came from, who we grew up with and lessons learned while living in “the Creek” and that no matter which team wins Beer Olympics, the night cannot be considered a failure when spending such a special weekend with special people.

Fourth of July at the Lake

Tim Rockwell (left) and Garrett Lacich (right) showing their patriotism at Bartlett Lake for the Fourth.

The triple-digit weather almost peaks near the Fourth of July weekend, so many people will spend the time at Bartlett Lake or Lake Pleasant to try and stay cool. Boating, jet skiing, tubing and swimming are only some of the events that will take place on the lake – all amongst the numerous amounts of people drinking as well. For this reason, it is strongly suggested to have some extra caution on such a busy weekend. Boats and boaters alike are decked out in American flags and patriotic swim suits. Music is going, friends and families are socializing amongst each other and a great Fourth of July is sure to be had spending it on the lake.

Cave Creek takes Mission Beach for the Fourth

Abby Schmidt and Kenzie Greene celebrate the Fourth Mission Beach style.

The fourth and final Fourth of July tradition for many Cave Creekers is beating the heat and embracing the cool(er), salty ocean air of Mission Beach. Big groups will caravan together, having booked the nicest hotel for the cheapest price around. Less money spent on “living costs” means more money to spend on beer and food. Kids will fit as many people to one room as possible to keep the trip cheap, but regardless of the uncomfortable sleeping arrangements, mediocre hotel rooms and packed car rides, the memories made on these trips will last a lifetime.

Sure, Cave Creek is an old Western town, but that does not mean people from here do not know how to have a good time on the Fourth of July. Friends, family, fireworks, food and, of course, drinking add to the experience and memories made each year celebrating America’s freedom. Reunions and gatherings of college students have their way of celebrating, as do families with younger kids. Despite the celebration tactics, it is bound to be a good weekend. Remember to stay safe this Fourth of July weekend – have fun, but try not to party too hard!

University of Arizona