Living at The Hub: An outsider’s perspective

I hate myself a little bit more each time I have to go there

The Hub: otherwise known as one of the party apartments at the University of Arizona. Although I don’t live there, I probably spend at least half of my week there and am definitely at The Hub literally every single god damn day.

Let’s backtrack a bit. I live in a wonderful, quiet, two bedroom house literally across the street from the south side of campus. I don’t have to deal with noisy neighbors, have a wonderful and affectionate cat who is probably sad that I don’t spend more time with her, and I only pay $350 a month for rent. So why do I spend so much time at The Hub? Simple. My boyfriend lives there (and complains that my pillows hurt his neck when he sleeps).

Just some soil taking a casual ride in the elevator (no broken pot, bag, plant, or any sort of context). This looked a lot worse in real life and was the only photo that I had saved. I wish you could just smell the intoxicating scent of alcohol through this post.

In comparison, The Hub seems to constantly be flooded by random people (me probably being one of them), the constant smell of beer and vomit in the elevators, and random screaming heard during all times of the day. It seems that almost every apartment has their counters lined with empty alcohol bottles, tapestries and flags are interchangeable, and there are Christmas lights galore. The beer-infested pool water is definitely one of its highly-sought after amenities. There’s also always trash everywhere. Did I also mention that to live there it also costs anywhere from $575 (but that’s if you share a room with someone else) to upwards of $1600 PER PERSON? How do students (or more realistically, their parents) afford this?

I’m an early riser – my boyfriend, however, is not. I used to spend a majority of my 7:00 AM – 12:00 PM CLEANING his and his roommates’ apartment and by cleaning, I mean washing dishes, intense sweeping & mopping, disinfecting counters, organizing video games, EVERYTHING. Why? Looking back on those hours wasted, I have no clue why I even bothered. Every night, an entire fraternity pledge class would crowd the apartment and the work that I had put into making the living room an actual liveable place went all to waste. Disorder affects my anxiety disorder, but somehow I’ve managed to just tunnel-vision my way around this apartment.

Resident, Stephen King decides to coexist with the mess rather than waste time cleaning it.

It’s definitely a cool apartment in theory, but I seem to hate myself a little bit more each time I slither in through the front door and it definitely is shameful when I have to ask someone to use the fob so I can go upstairs. Am I against drinking, smoking, and partying? Heck no. And hell yeah those sunsets at the rooftop pool and jacuzzi are hard to say no to. However, I do feel for the actual residents of the apartment who are just looking to get some god damn quiet at 4 in the morning.

Will the addition of The Hub 2 allow for some dissipation of raucous and too drunk to function students or will it just lead to even more of a clusterfuck?

University of Arizona