Everything I learnt during four years at U of A

It’s been a wild ride

My time at the University of Arizona has been memorable because I was involved in various clubs on campus that allowed me to meet famous people. For me, college was not all about classes, it was about trying to meet celebrities, listen to stand up comedians, and attend free concerts.

As a college student, you have random times during the day to do something different. I remember various times waiting in line for hours to either get free food or meet celebrities that visited campus. When I was a sophomore, I remember Seth Myers came to Centennial Hall and my twin sister and I stood in line to grab tickets to see him. We both love Saturday Night Live, so it was very exciting to hear his stand-up. That same year, we also waited in a very long line to have the opportunity to hear Noam Chomsky, a well-known American linguist and philosopher.

In April 2014, I remember being in line outside for hours waiting in line to meet some of the cast members from the movie “Neighbors”. The weather was about 90 to almost 100 degrees, but my sister and I  had the opportunity to meet Dave Franco, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and Jerrod Carmichael. I had them sign a poster and took a couple of pictures with them.

Right after we had waited in line for a long time under the hot sun, we directly went over to the Student Union to wait in another line for a couple of more hours to get tickets to watch the screening of “Neighbors”. Needless to say, that that day, we spent our whole day waiting in lines and it was totally fine because we had no other responsibilities that day, which is what I will miss the most about college.

During my junior year, I remember Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick visited campus. Kourtney is an UA alumna and they were both stopping by he bookstore to get some UA gear. However, there were a lot of students, me included,  just waiting in line to get a chance to see them. Since they were filming for the show, their security guards did not want Kourtney and Scott to go inside because the environment did not seem “natural” (as if their show was “natural”) because many fans were gathered.

Last year, I was involved with a club called, Wildcat Events Board, and we  brought celebrities and musicians to campus. Two years ago during the school’s carnival, Spring Fling, the band “American Authors” came and played. Mac Miller and Aloe Blac also came to campus on two different occasions. Through this club, I had the opportunity to meet Carly Aquilino, from MTV’s Girl Code and was super nice and very funny! I also met Jenna Marbles and got to hear her stand-up while sitting in first row!

Lastly, just last semester, I met Geraldo Rivera, apparently a famous news caster in the 70’s and 80’s. I did not know who he was until I Googled him and it turned he was a big-shot back then. Word of advice, if you see people taking pictures with someone you do not recognize, just take a picture with that person anyway. I did not, and my parents got mad at me.

As a college student, you have the opportunity to make your own schedule and many times you have gaps in between throughout the day. When you graduate college, you will no longer have a random gap at 2pm to meet your favorite celebrity or to get ice cream with your friends. No, you will have a job that will most likely require you to be at an office until 5pm. Or in my case, you will be in graduate school, with loads and loads or readings and meetings to attend.

Do not feel guilty about taking advantage of the time you have throughout the day. Go to the gym at 3pm, stand in line for hours under the hot sun to audition as an extra for the Hangover 3, like I did. Take advantage of your freedom now and do random things in college because after all, college is only 4 years.

University of Arizona