We asked Wildcats what they think about smoking

Don’t hurt your body with that tiny box of yucky sticks

As of July 16,2015, the University of Arizona became a smoke-free campus to promote health and awareness.  Going to the University of Arizona and also being from Hawaii, these non- smoking policies have statistically been helpful to both environments.

Not many people know the statistics, but smoking is harmful to nearly every organ and it causes almost 1 to 5 deaths in the United States each year. Yikes, right? I’ve interviewed a few students to see what they thought about smoking:

Joey Guldag, Senior

What are your thoughts about smoking e-cigs or cigarettes?

I’m Not into smoking cigarettes or e-cigs, I hate the smell of the cigarette and it also irritates my nose.

Do you smoke? If yes, why? If no, why not?

No i do not smoke cigarettes don’t like how you smell like cigarettes after and I don’t want to increase my chances of cancer.

Does Arizona’s no smoking rule make you upset? Explain. If no, explain why you like the no smoking on campus rule.

No, I like the rule honestly keeps campus free of the cigarette butts and I don’t need to smell it.

Sarai Domingez, Sophmore

E-cigarettes are not really my thing, I really only will use one if I’m at a party.

Do you smoke, if yes, why? If no, why not?Q: What are your thoughts about smoking e-cigs or cigarettes?

Yes, I smoke because they calm me down a whole lot and keep me skinny.

No I don’t like the no smoking rule on campus because I feel restricted. If I’m exiting a really tough exam, I would like to smoke on my way home so I can relax.

Reid T. Hawkins, Junior

What are your thoughts about smoking e-cigs or cigarettes?A: I believe e-cigarettes or “vape pens” provide a less harmful alternative to the life-threatening habit that is responsible for nearly 1 in 5 deaths everyday. I find it illogical to continue a habit that is proven to cause health damage to many organs in the human body.

Do you smoke, if yes, why? If no, why not?

Yes, I enjoy the occasional cigar because it provides a nice finishing touch for a glass of scotch, neat.

I like the no smoking on campus rule because our campus looks much cleaner without littered cigarette butts. It has also helped to eliminate the smell of cigarette smoke from my walks to class.

From personal experience, I’ve noticed the dramatic health changes that smoking can take on a person. Not only has it been medically proven to be very harmful to our bodies but it also ages you quicker. Each to their own though, smoking has, so I’ve heard, a soothing effect and takes the edge off of peoples lives it’s just how much and how long you smoke for that will effect you in the end.

As for discipline of smoking violations on campus, repeated offenses will result in disciplinary action. The University of Arizona wants to protect their staff, students and campus from smoke and liter.  These new smoking policies will hopefully spread across the seas and other Universities to seek a more healthy lifestyle.

University of Arizona