Why I’m attending Stagecoach this weekend

I love the Coachella of country music

The minute you walk onto the Empire Polo grounds you smell hay, taste the fried food in the air, and hear country music blaring all around you. You see ladies in cowgirl boots and men sporting their favorite cowboy hats, real or made out of old beer can boxes. You stand there for a second with your friends and take it all in — this is the beginning of one of the most exciting and stimulating weekends of the spring. Welcome to Stagecoach.

Stagecoach is California’s largest country music festival. You could call it the Coachella of country music. Some of the country’s biggest bands and artists come to Indio to perform in this weekend-long festival. This year April 29 through May 1, Stagecoach celebrates its tenth anniversary and has a line up that is sure to please.

The minute you wake up in the morning you can feel the excitement, everyone in your hotel is there for the same reason. You walk to the pool and can hear conversations about the day’s line up, the food that the people will consume, and because of the clientele the hotel is playing only country music all day long.

Festivalgoers wait in line patiently for the opening, then run through the barricades to secure their spots for the day. From the attire to the attractions to the bands’ live performances, it’s a lot to embrace at once. But, once you do, you are in for a treat. If this is your first time going to Stagecoach I have complied a list of must-dos for the best weekend ever!

Learn to line dance

In some of the tents they have line dancing classes. They are taught in both small and large classes for free. This is one of those “only at Stagecoach” moments. Not only is it a free event but also it is an opportunity for some cute pictures! And let’s be honest. We all know you want to document your time at Stagecoach.

Go on the ferris wheel

Spend the feverish dollars and go on it, especially at sunset. The view is breathtaking. Not only do you get an interesting view of the RV Park, but you get to see the whole festival grounds with all the twinkling lights. This is truly so special. From the aerial you get a whole new perspective to the festival atmosphere, one can see and hear everything — all the stages going at once, all the people flocking from one area to the next. It is definitely a must-do.

Get on someone’s shoulders

This is a little cliché but don’t be scared to ask someone — preferably a friend — for a boost. Not only does it allow you to see past all the thousands of heads in front of you but it lets you see what’s going on around you. Not only are you still immersed in the crowds atmosphere but you get to watch everything from above.

Just be warned — when you get put back on the ground, your legs are going to hurt for a little bit. The view is worth it.

Visit the horses

We all watch them during their famous Super Bowl Sunday commercials each year, take the time to visit the clydesdales on Saturday and Sunday from 3 to 5 PM. Not only does that give you a perfect break from the pit of people around you but it allows you a fun photo opportunity with your friends. How often do you get to stand next to and pet a clydesdale? Unless you were brought up around horses I would say pretty slim.

Take a ride on Henny Penny

The biggest artificial piece of poultry you’ll ever see, this “Chicken Queen of the Western Scene” is all about fun and enjoying the moment. Hold on tight and see how long you can handle this crazy chicken. It is really quite a sight.

Whether this is your first rodeo or you’re a seasoned veteran of this honky tonk adventure, sway with the music, indulge in some festival favorite foods, and — most importantly — remember your sunscreen!

University of Arizona