I’d be willing to bet that Las Vegas is the best place to grow up

When you really consider where you grew up, one day you’ll realize Sin City is better

When I tell people I’m from Las Vegas, half of them will ask, “Do you live in a casino?” A fifth of them will ask, “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to stay there? Of all people you must know that saying.” Others ask, “How old were you when you started gambling?” And then there are those who say, “Wow, really? I didn’t know people actually live there.”

I live in the gambling capital of the world, the Capital of Second Chances, the City of Sin, the beautiful, and always-sunny Las Vegas, Nevada.

Off the somewhat-depressing and always lit 4.2-mile Las Vegas Strip, about 2.1 million call the Las Vegas Metro area their home.

To be completely honest, growing up in Las Vegas was probably better than wherever you grew up. It has whatever your city has — and more.

Beaches? Yes, hit up the beach clubs. Movie theaters and bowling alleys? Yes, legit on every corner. Best food in the country? Yes, with such variety you can find any cuisine here. Fantastic Weather? Yes, even when it rains it still feels fantastic. Sports? Yes, if you are one of the few that still follow baseball. Beautiful Scenery? It’s postcard gold. Great People? Definitely. Accessibility to the entire city? Yes. Traffic is just adding three extra minutes onto your journey. Fantastic Night Life? I mean, it’s called Sin City.

There are certain aspects that I like best.

Fantastic natural scenery

Vegas has mountains surrounding the whole city for those fun scavenger hunts with your elementary school squad, hikes with your middle school clique, and those beautiful desert sunsets with your first girlfriend.

The people-watching is a buffet for your eyes

I have no idea who the dude on the right is

Some nights you need a pick me up. The best place to get one isn’t at home, it isn’t eating your sorrows away, but it is sitting on a bench on Las Vegas Boulevard and Fremont Street. Some of the funniest memories I have from home come from watching the drunken struggle of the few who cannot truly handle Las Vegas.

Fremont Street and First Fridays

From the impromptu dance-offs on the streets to the free concerts, I can honestly say Fremont Street is one of the highlights of my city. During the day we see the old motels that used to make up the old Strip, but at night we see the flashing lights and loud sounds from instruments and hip-hop from speakers.

On the first Friday of each month, a whole street is sectioned off and it is most definitely one of the artsiest places I have been. Undiscovered artists come and put their work on display, small underground bands come and make strong impressions on the crowds.

But, my absolute favorite part about First Fridays are the food trucks. Rows and rows of food trucks line up, all with a different type of food. The best bang for your buck ever comes from these food trucks.

Obviously the Las Vegas Strip is incredible

The Strip is the one place that is on every brochure for Las Vegas. Aside from the nightclubs, beautiful lights, and mornings full of regret, the Strip has the best food in the world. From five-star, world-famous chefs, with 11-course tasting menus to the quick hot dogs and cupcakes near the High Roller, everything put in your mouth has the Sin City stamp of approval. Although I only go to the Strip when I have friends or family to show around, my older brother says that the clubs are incredible.

And speaking of clubs…

But the absolute best part of Las Vegas is when you turn 21. Anywhere else in America you can find the newly turned 21-year-olds flooding to — you guessed it — Las Vegas. Foreigners spend thousands of dollars on traveling and accommodations to get to the place that I call home. When Las Veganites turn 21, it’s a simple car ride to the parking lot, getting smashed with your best friends, passing out somewhere, and waking up not remembering how you got in a suite at some hotel.

February 2015 at the infamous Sugar Factory

I don’t live in a casino, and what happens in Vegas usually finds a way out. My city is one of the prettiest in the world, and I will always call it the best place to grow up.

University of Arizona