Dear high school me

What I wish I knew when I was in high school

Don't be scared about the future.

Don’t be scared about the future

Dear High School Me,

Things are about to go by really quickly. Capture every moment and opportunity you can before it’s too late. Don’t — I repeat do not — rush through these moments with your friends, classmates, and family.

Go to all the sporting events you can, whether you are cheering from the sidelines or the stands. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know anything about lacrosse. Go and wear your friend’s jersey. Make posters with quirky slogans and funny pictures to embarrass your friends. Wear your school colors with pride, don’t ditch the pep rallies, go and participate, volunteer to play the games, and paint your faces with blue and gold.

Try something new, go try out for a sport you never thought you would play, or try out for the lead in the school play. These are the last four years where you can be adventurous without worrying about how these events will affect your future.

Cheer on your friends whether it’s from the sidelines or the stands

Don’t be too cool to go to all your school dances. Dress like a princess, do your make up and hair. Meet your friends before to do a photo-shoot. If no one asks you to be their date, go stag with your friends. There is no reason to let a boy restrict your fun. Also, it’s high school, don’t worry if you don’t fall in love. You have years and years ahead of you to go to college, travel, work or whatever path you choose. Go to prom, don’t deny your mom the ability to pamper you the way her mom pampered her.

Make time for the people who would make time for you. Don’t worry about the cliques or the stigmas. Do what makes you happy. Don’t use the “well texting is a two way street” excuse because the other person is probably using that excuse too.

Let your mom pamper you the way she was pampered

Go on late night drives, have a bonfire, and see someone live in concert. Maybe road trip upstate or be a tourist in your own hometown. Take Polaroids and put them on your walls. Share every moment with your mom. Try not to fight with your parents, understand they want the best for you too, and realize that they do love and care about you more than anyone else in this world. Don’t roll your eyes at the thought of a family vacation because more likely than not it’s going to be something you’ll regret not doing when you’re away from home at college. Tell your parents you love them every day, hug them before you go to bed, and thank them at every opportunity you can because at the end of the day, you are where you are because of them.

When it is time for graduation, look back at the past four years and smile, think about the times with your friends, the tests you crammed for, and the memories you made. Make sure to thank your friends for sharing their notes and your parents for staying up with you to help write that paper or construct a diorama.

It’s okay to be scared about the future, but remember these times, and when you come home don’t let the distance you traveled build a barrier between the people you love.

University of Arizona