The best parts about living in the APH

For starters, you can go to The Market in your pajamas

Unlike most universities, Appalachian State doesn’t have a Greek Row. What makes ASU unique is that we have a building called the Appalachian Panhellenic Hall, commonly referred to as the APH, where all the sororities live. The APH was once a hotel, but was then remodeled into a dormitory.

Although I don’t live there now (I’m moving in next year), I might as well be considered a resident. I spend the majority of my time there with my sisters.

Sorority girls love food

The Market is probably one of the best places inside of this dorm. Just as the name implies, it’s a market with food, drinks and various hygiene essentials. If you want a fancy meal, you should probably look elsewhere. But if you want some popcorn for a movie night with your sisters, this is the place to go.

Like most college students, I’m broke. The great thing about The Market is you pay through your meal plan. Another awesome thing about it? You can shop around in your pajamas.

Holding events is an easy task

Since the APH used to be a hotel, it has three ballrooms and three mezz rooms. These rooms are convenient for those in Greek life because it’s so easy to hold chapter meetings and other events. They’re large enough to house all of the chapters on campus, and even the largest ones can fit all of their members into the rooms.

Heavy security is a little over the top

Like most dorms, the outside door is locked and you can only enter if you use your ID App card. This is understandable – you don’t want just anyone to be able to walk in. But the fact that you have to swipe just to get into the elevators is a little ridiculous. Sure, taking the stairs is a healthier option, but the stairs only go up to the mezz rooms and not to the floors each sorority lives on.

Now, maybe this wouldn’t be so bad, but each sorority has a parlor room in which all of their chapter’s items are kept. If I wanted to get my Greek Week shirt from the parlor, I would not only have to wait to be let into the building, but I would also have to wait to get the elevator up to the Phi Mu floor. This is definitely inconvenient for sisters who don’t live in the APH. The bright side? If you live at APH, you always feel safe.

The rooms are amazing

Since the APH used to be a hotel, the rooms are large, especially when compared to the other dorms. There are two closets, a microwave, a refrigerator and a bathroom. Unfortunately, the fancy hotel beds weren’t kept in the rooms. Instead, you get the typical campus furniture consisting of bunkable beds, a desk with a three-position chair and a dresser.

When you live at the APH, you have a roommate who is also a sister in your sorority. I think it’ll be fun to live with my sisters and make new memories with them. The APH connects you with your fellow sisters and helps create some lifelong friendships.

Appalachian State University