Kill Devil Hills was a surprisingly amazing place to grow up

The grass is always greener

We all waited 18 excruciatingly long years to get out of Kill Devil Hills. We complained about summer traffic and winter doldrums and incompetent tourists and sunburns. Our parents and teachers warned us: if we don’t get out now, we’ll be stuck here. So, tell me, why am I hours away in my mountainous semi-home wishing to be there?

The Outer Banks – Dare County to be more precise – is a tiny strip of land less than two miles wide off the coast of North Carolina. Growing up, myself and many other younger residents felt trapped – suffocated even – by the crowded summers and small town feel. But, now that I’m not so sure I can call it home anymore, I’m realizing Kill Devil Hills was a pretty incredible place to be.

Kill Devil Hills was ‘First in Flight’

In 1903, the pioneers of air travel conducted the first flight on December 17th right here on our sand dunes. The memorial to commemorate this achievement, The Wright Brothers Memorial, is right across the street from my old high school, appropriately named First Flight High.

Fifth grade students at First Flight Middle take part in a program called “Wright Flight” where they learn about the history of air travel and even get the chance to co-pilot a plane.

Local cuisine

Almost every teenager in Dare County has worked part-time bussing tables or taking orders at one of the many unique restaurants. Having the commodity of fresh, local seafood that may very well have been caught just hours before you eat it is one of the biggest attractions of our local eateries. Nothing says “Outer Banks” quite like 10-cent shrimp at Fish Heads, fresh fish and soft shell crabs.

The best beaches

The Outer Banks is home to some of the most beautiful beaches, and beautiful sunsets, on the east coast. On the other side of the island, we are locked in by the Albemarle Sound. In fact, it serves as my backyard.

Along with these incredible coastlines comes incredible wildlife, and incredible watersports. I’ve seen jumping dolphins, monster jellyfish and peaceful sharks (emphasis on peaceful). Even some great whites have frequented our waters. Residents and tourists alike take part in surfing, fishing, paddleboarding and kayaking.

The tourism

In the offseason, Dare County has a static, year-round population of about 35,000. But in the summers, the population increases to almost 300,000. As much as the locals love to complain about tourons, we can’t deny that most of us wouldn’t have jobs if it wasn’t for their contribution to our local economy.

All of the attractions

Along with the Wright Brothers Memorial, we are home to many other nationally recognized parks and attractions. Five lighthouses span our coast from Corolla to Ocracoke, as well as many impressive piers and the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island. Jockey’s Ridge, the largest sand dune in the eastern United States, is also included in our repertoire of national parks.

Though the winters may have been suffocating and the future seemed to hold little more than waiting tables and measly tips, growing up in Dare County was nothing short of a unique experience, and absolutely impossible to find anywhere else.

Appalachian State University