Russell Brand has been charged with rape following allegations from four women

He’s due to appear in court in May


Comedian Russell Brand has been charged with rape, indecent assault, and sexual assault over incidents that allegedly took place over a 6-year period from 1999 to 2005.

Back in 2023, an investigation from the Sunday Times, The Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches alleged incidents from four separate women. According to the BBC, he has been interviewed by police “multiple times” since then, and now he’s been charged over the following alleged incidents.

  • A woman was raped in the Bournemouth area in 1999
  • A woman in 2001 was indecently assaulted in the Westminster area
  • In 2004, a woman was orally raped and sexually assaulted in Westminster
  • A woman was sexually assaulted in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.

Russell Brand is now expected to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday, May 2.

Officials have issued statements

Russell

Andy Furphy, the Metropolitan Police’s detective superintendent who is leading the investigation, said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.

“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police. A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at [email protected]. Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line.”

Jaswant Narwal from the Crown Prosecution Service also said: “We have today authorised the Metropolitan Police to charge Russell Brand with a number of sexual offences.

“We carefully reviewed the evidence after a police investigation into allegations made following the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary in September 2023. We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault. These relate to reported non-recent offences between 1999 and 2005 involving four women.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

Russell Brand responded to the rape allegations at the time

In an interview with FOX News’ Tucker Carlson, Russell Brand denied the allegations.

“I suppose what that did is it revealed that what we were experiencing was a public concoction. I am aware that I put myself in an extremely vulnerable position by being very, very promiscuous. That is not the kind of conduct that I endorse, and it’s certainly not how I would live now,” he said.

“I’ve been shown a good many things, as a result of these events – the value of my family, the value of friendship, the value of being able to speak publicly.

“I mentioned my son because throughout it I was able to maintain what is really important in life … hurtful as it is to be accused of what I consider to be the most appalling crimes, to be accused of this is very, very painful, and very hurtful.

“But I am being shown that there are consequences for the rather foolish way that I lived in the past – although of course again to reiterate, due to the nature of the world we live, of course I deny any allegations of the kind that have been advanced.”

Featured image credit: Laura Thompson/Shutterstock

More on: Celebrity Film Russell Brand