Students who study at night are the true heroes

Night time is when the creative juices flow

My friends constantly poke fun and question why I always do my work late at night. My answer is very simple: It’s when I work best.

As much as I’d love to be curled up in bed watching Friends instead of writing a research paper at 1:00 am, night time is when my creative juices flow and when my mind is most focused.

There are no time constraints

During the day, I never miss out on fun activities or campus wide events because I am stuck in the stacks studying. Whether laying by the lake, eating on Bascom, or taking part in an informative meeting, there is no guilt felt for not being in the library. I have the entirety of the night to get all my work done.

Distractions are gone

Everyone has experienced a time when the library has been packed and you end up socializing more than studying—everyone except me. When the moon is glowing and the clock strikes 2 am, not many people are still up and at ‘em. The absence of distractions serves as the perfect time to get the job done.

Reflect upon the day

In some way or another, everything you do impacts your life. Both the smallest and most extraordinary of moments may influence the decisions you make. Therefore, by doing work late at night, I am able to reflect upon my day’s endeavors and incorporate all that I have learned into my studies.

Social media slows down

There comes a time when Instagram feeds no longer need refreshing and Snapchat stories have all elapsed. When texts stop flooding in and social media has quieted down, there is no reason for me to constantly check my phone. The elimination of social media makes doing work late at night stress-free and efficient.

Breaks are not needed

It’s very easy to get of track by taking breaks in the middle of the day. Grabbing lunch, meeting up with friends, and even going to class serve as great excuses to stop doing work. When I am all fed, showered, and done with classes for the day, there is no reason to continuously take breaks while completing my work.

Going to bed is all the rage

When the clock flashes 2:30 am and all my work is done, there is no better feeling than climbing into bed right away. Knowing that everything has been ardently completed gives way to a restful and soothing night sleep.

University of Wisconsin