There’s a petition lobbying to make Wake Forest a sanctuary campus

It’s been signed by 482 faculty, students and staff members so far

An online petition began circulating today in favor of making Wake Forest University a sanctuary campus. Along with students, the petition has been signed by 49 faculty and staff members on campus so far.

The petition asks for the university “to take immediate steps to make Wake Forest University a sanctuary campus for students, staff, and their family members who face deportation under President-elect Donald J. Trump’s proposed policies.”

The petition also urges the university “to make a public commitment to supporting and ensuring the safety of people of color, LGBTQ+ community members, women, Muslims, low-income students, people with disabilities, and all other individuals whose safety will be jeopardized by Trump’s proposed policies and the hatred and violence he has legitimized.”

In response, another online petition has come out against making Wake Forest a sanctuary campus arguing for the university “to follow federal immigration law and cooperate with federal law enforcement.”

Wake Forest Student Government will meet tonight to vote on a resolution pushing for Wake Forest to become a sanctuary campus.

Wake Forest