The definitive guide to surviving finals at USC

Because USC is one of the most competitive schools in the nation

With finals week over, there is a cheery feel in the atmosphere. Just last week, students dragged their feet on their way to impending finals and Leavey was filled to the brim. Their stress could be felt in the air. Now they are happily fantasizing about winter break. Those who haven’t left yet are ready to bolt the moment they can.

When I was taking my last final for this semester yesterday I was reminded of the stress that I and my peers face at USC. Not just during finals, but throughout the entire semester. Deadlines, papers, projects, homework, social life, work, extra-curricular activities, health and sleep need to be balanced.

During finals week we have to study incessantly or else our GPA suffer. It’s almost as if the world is working against us and there is no way out. And at USC, it doesn’t help that everyone seems to be smarter than you.

There is a way out though — here’s my advice as a fellow student on how to confront stress at USC:

Take a walk down Trousdale

Studying 24/7 in Leavey takes a toll on anyone. The lights turn everything a light shade of green, and everyone looks like they are about to vomit. It’s not a particular uplifting place to be.

Now is as good as a time as any to take advantage of the brisk Southern California weather and explore USC. You can stroll down Trousdale Parkway or maybe even Childs Way and admire the architecture that we often take for granted. Getting outside helps clear my head and allows me to concentrate on studying.

We have an excellent campus for walking

Make use of the mental health services that USC provides

USC has a dog with office hours as part of their wellness program. Not many other universities have something like that. You should take advantage of that at least once at your time here.

USC also has a stress relief clinic that offers consultation and assessment, mindfulness based stress reduction, biofeedback training and restorative yoga (it apparently helps with deep relaxation). For students who have trouble with managing their stress, USC has professional counselors on call.

Our very own health center

Refuel your brain at TCC

Food is one of the most important ways that you can confront stress. It gives your brain enough nourishment to get through studying while also maintaining your overall health.

There are so many restaurant and food options at and around USC — from Study Hall to Panda Express to Lemonade — despite the fact that everyone complains about the lack of options.

Fantasize about USC winning the Rose Bowl

On the day after the new year, our football team takes the field to play Penn State. You will be on the couch somewhere watching the game — or you won’t — rooting on USC. To get there you have to overcome finals week.

With a clear goal in mind, you can find it within yourself to survive the week.

Here’s hoping we beat Penn State

Take a break — no one can study for that long

It’s almost impossible to study fully focused for hours on end and those who can do it are either on drugs or lying to you. Every so often treat yourself to an episode of your favorite Netflix show. Or if you can’t trust yourself to watch just one episode walk around your dorm or apartment and have a little snack.

Meditate and focus on relaxing

You may laugh but their are some benefits to meditation — especially for students trying to get through finals. It doesn’t have to be anything serious. Closing your eyes and refocusing for even 10 minutes could help you remain calm in the heat of finals.

Maybe imagining your dog (or pet) will help

Stress is dangerous as it could lead to symptoms of depression and it should be dealt with carefully. Please seek the advice of a medical professional if your stress is affecting your health.

This is not an official list by any means, but some of these methods have helped me. Hopefully it’s enough time to relax and re-enter college with a positive attitude. By the time you are reading this you have made it through the semester and earned a 25 day break.

University of Southern California