Goal Patrol may be the ultimate UConn fans

We have other sports besides basketball

UConn, known as the basketball capital of the world, also has some of the most passionate soccer fans in the world. Yes soccer, not basketball fans. Now, before any basketball junkies get upset, UConn basketball is expected to have great basketball fans, and they do.

That being said, UConn soccer fans, notoriously named Goal Patrol, is one of the most energetic groups in Storrs.

Most people, including UConn students, don’t know that much, if anything, about Goal Patrol because they don’t go to soccer games. Here’s six things that explain what Goal Patrol is and what they mean to UConn soccer.

Photograph by Amar Batra with permission

Energy

This cannot be stressed enough. Morrone Stadium is notorious for being a thunderous soccer stadium that opposing teams hate coming to for two reasons; UConn’s excellent program and the passionate fanbase that is Goal Patrol.

“The people and the atmosphere go hand in hand,” Kyle Constable, a UConn junior and rabid soccer fan, said. “Sure, you’ll see them at basketball and football games, but soccer in particular brings out the crazy in fans.”

The Huskies are loud, rambunctious and enthusiastic and the players and coaches have taken notice.

“I believe we have the best student-run group in the country,” head coach Ray Reid said. “It’s like having a 12th man out there. Our players feed off the energy of Goal Patrol.”

The fans have a love for UConn soccer that burns deep, and Goal Patrol is the group of passionate UConn students that have taken the initiative to give the Huskies an incredible home field advantage.

“It’s pretty cool. A couple of us do what we can behind goal: leading cheers and songs, trying to get into the goalkeeper’s head, whatever we can do to help the team,” Tim Fontenault, a recent UConn graduate, said. “We try to create a fun environment behind the goal. It’s cool because the players definitely hear us.”

Attendance

The UConn soccer team is notorious for having great turnouts at their games. The University of Connecticut has ranked in the top-10 in overall attendance every year for the past decade.

“When Morrone is packed, it can be chilling,” Fontenault said.

UConn soccer seems to feed off the energy and passion of its fans.  Back in 2000, when the Huskies won the national championship, the Huskies ranked first in the country in attendance, according to the team’s website. Since then, the Huskies have had one of the most feared home-field advantages in all of college soccer.

“It’s like having a 12th man out on the field. They do a great job consistently supporting our team,” Head Coach Ray Reid, said.

A unique connection with the team

UConn fans have felt they have a connection with the team that is stronger than any other UConn team.

“There’s a connection between the players and Goal Patrol that I don’t think you get at other schools, or even with other teams here at UConn,” Fontenault said. “We know each other off the field, and I think that helps make the connection stronger. When you’re supporting your friends instead of just rooting for the shirt, it makes it more special.”

Fontenault, still a Goal Patrol member after graduation, talks to former UConn forward Cyle Larin, who currently plays in the MLS for Orlando City. In his rookie season, Larin broke the MLS record for most goals scored by a rookie. Members of Goal Patrol were delighted by his accomplishment, especially Fontenault, who always felt that connection with Larin, as well as other players.

“Personally, we support each other, which I think is a big difference compared to other UConn sports,” Tim Fontenault said. “They supported me in my endeavors at school the same way I supported them, just without the painted chest and loud noises.”

The connection between the players and fans is real from a fan’s perspective. They feel a personal connection with many of the players. The players feed off the energy and feel the connection too.

The players actually share that connection with the fans

This is what seems to separate Goal Patrol from other UConn sports fans, and college sports fans nationwide. While fans like to feel connected to players everywhere–in both college and professional sports–Goal Patrol’s distinctiveness lies with the fact that the players know and talk about Goal Patrol and seem to share this connection with them. The team feels that connection and gives it right back to the fans. After scoring goals, many of the players will approach and embrace members of Goal Patrol, sharing that moment of celebration with the fans.

“When Mamadou Diaf was on the team, he would always come over and hug members of Goal Patrol after scoring, and that was incredible,” Constable said. “Feeling important and valuable to the game, it’s just you don’t see that…it’s a soccer thing…it’s a UConn thing.”

Players really do appreciate the support the fans give them, including redshirt senior Tyler Leeman, who in a one on one interview said that while the whole team really does admire the strong support Goal Patrol gives them, it gives them a strong incentive to work even harder for 5,000-plus fans in attendance at each of their home games at Morrone Stadium.

“I’m glad to hear fans feel that way.  I completely agree, I feel our team loves connecting with the fans on and off the field.  Obviously a lot of our fans are students so we enjoy hanging out with our fellow huskies around campus.  It means a lot to all of us that we get such great attendance at all of our home games,” Tyler Leeman, a Redshirt Senior and midfielder, said. “It is amazing feeling being on the field in front of 5,000 people who want you to play well and be successful.  Every player truly appreciates the support we get from all of our fans.”

“Blue Socks” Chant

Goal Patrol is not only unique because of their passion, or their attendance, but also because of the things they do at games, to cheer on UConn, while also trash-talking and getting into the head of the visiting team. Every UConn team has a student section, and all of them chant, “Let’s go Huskes,” as well as the famous “UConn Huskies” chant. Goal Patrol however, has its own unique chants that they use to add a different element to the great atmosphere at games. One of those original chants is the “Blue Socks” chant, and how it came to fruition just makes Goal Patrol exceptional.

In soccer it is common for the the home crowd to yell, “You suck” at a an opposing goalkeeper when kicking a goal kick. But when the university wanted to ban all derogatory chants, especially ones that were obscene or vulgar, Goal Patrol came up with a new way to still yell at a visiting goalkeeper.

“To fix the problem we decided to change ‘You suck!’ to ‘Blue Socks!’” Fontenault said. “It’s a silly variation, but we’re not saying anything offensive. We’re just ridiculous people who like to have fun by yelling about an article of clothing.”

Impact on the games

There is no way to truly verify this. Players, coaches and even fans believe that when Goal Patrol is out in full force, the atmosphere at Morrone Stadium is something special.

“It always feels like Goal Patrol has a chance to impact the game, and I think that in turn gives the player-fan relationship more of a team-like feel, like we’re in this together,” Fontenault said. “College soccer doesn’t have many groups like ours, so when other teams show up, they’re thrown off. It means the world to the UConn players.”

The fans don’t think that their chants and rowdiness are the reason behind UConn wins or losses. They believe that their energy can affect the players of both teams, motivating the UConn players while simultaneously intimidating the opposition.

“It’s a special kind of rowdy,” Kyle Constable, a junior here at UConn and a member of Goal Patrol, said. “It’s unlike any other UConn sporting event, everything is a bit more personal with Goal Patrol.”

That special kind of rowdy comes from a different kind of passion not seen anywhere else in Storrs. When Goal Patrol is out in full force, the chants can be an incredible sight and sound, and it makes UConn soccer games all the more special, for the fans, but also for the players.

“I cant remember the game exactly, but it was a NCAA tournament game my sophomore year.  The crowd was absolutely packed, and I mean every seat was taken and people were standing along the goals on both sides,” Leeman said. “The goal patrol organized a UConn chant where goal patrol members behind each goal would yell “UConn” and the fans in the stands yelled “Huskies”.  They finished the chant and it was so loud and in sync it gave me goose bumps.  It was one of the best games I’ve been a part of while at UConn.”

Fontenault talked about Goal Patrol leading a ‘UConn Huskies’ chant, where both sides of Goal Patrol, who usually sit behind each goal, would chant ‘UConn’ and have the rest of the stadium reply with ‘Huskies.’

“I remember the first time we did it a few years ago,” he said. “After the game, on of the players came over to me and said, ‘keep doing that forever.”

University of Connecticut