Let the political revolution continue

‘When my presidential campaign came to an end, I pledged that the political revolution would continue. And now, more than ever, that must happen.’ – Bernie Sanders

Despite Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign coming to an end, he continues to campaign for the people of the United States. Yes, ALL the people.

Bernie Sanders recently told The New York Times:

“I am deeply distressed to hear stories of Americans being intimidated and harassed in the wake of Mr. Trump’s victory, and I hear the cries of families who are living in fear of being torn apart.”

He continued, “We have come too far as a country in combating discrimination. We are not going back. Rest assured, there is no compromise on racism, bigotry, xenophobia and sexism. We will fight it in all its forms, whenever and wherever it reemerges.”

Since the announcement of Donald Trump as the president-elect, there have been over 400 reported incidents in the U.S., according to Time. Many have directly referenced Trump’s controversial rhetoric and proposals.

Up until his 60 Minutes interview, president-elect Donald Trump had stayed silent on the spike in hate crimes since Election Day.

When asked about the violent incidents in his name, he said:

“I am very surprised to hear that.”

He then looked directly into the camera and said, “Stop it.”

Is it really surprising, though?

Trump’s campaign has made it seem that it’s okay for people to express sexist, racist, homophobic, and Islamophobic behavior. The fact that Trump neglected to seriously condemn these acts of hate vindicates his supporters’ behavior.

Acting surprised and saying “Stop it” isn’t convincing.

Bernie Sanders, on the other hand, has been consistently expressing his concerns on his social media accounts.

Bernie Sanders is using his platform to stand with Latinos, Muslims, the LGBT community, and any and all minorities. He makes it clear that these acts of discrimination towards minorities are unacceptable and will not be tolerated in our country.

Bernie told BBC Radio 4:

“I am very worried that a President Trump may take us back to where we were before, and we in the progressive community are not going to allow that to happen.”

Protests against the president-elect have started up around the country, especially in large cities such as New York and Philadelphia. Protesters come from all different backgrounds to stand in solidarity on a path towards social and economic justice – continuing the political revolution.

As Sanders said, “When we stand together and don’t let demagogues divide us up by race, gender or national origin, there is nothing we cannot accomplish. We must go forward, not backward.”

He especially encourages young people to become active in politics to create change for the country’s future.

Despite the election results and whichever candidate you voted for, we cannot let hate, anger, and ignorance divide this country. It is vital to educate ourselves to better our country and create a better future for us all.

@michmendezmedia

Temple University