PA Millennials, don’t forget to look down the ballot

Hillary isn’t the only important Democrat on the ballot this year…

In September, Hillary Clinton came to Temple University engaging Millennials as to why this election is so important for the future of young people. Over one month later, she’s ahead in most polls, making her election to the White House all but inevitable in most election forecasts – Five Thirty Eight’s Election Forecast currently has HRC with over an 85% chance of winning the election overall.

Hillary Clinton campaigned for Katie McGinty Saturday at Penn in an attempt to rouse support for PA’s Senatorial race

As HRC has widened her lead over the past several weeks – after the multiple missteps the Trump Campaign has endured – the Clinton Campaign’s focus has shifted toward winning a Democratic majority in the United States Senate, which would give Hillary crucial support on Capitol Hill come inauguration day. This past Saturday, she campaigned at the University of Pennsylvania to build more support around McGinty ahead of this debate.

Knowing Hillary has over an 87% chance of winning Pennsylvania against Donald Trump, it’s time Millennials look down the ballot to give support to another crucial political race in PA – the Pennsylvania Senate race between incumbent Pat Toomey and Democratic challenger Katie McGinty.

Pennsylvania’s Senate race shouldn’t be taken for granted based on Clinton’s command over Trump in current campaign polls and Toomey’s wishy-washy support for his party’s standard-bearer. McGinty is currently leading Toomey with a 50.2% chance of winning, but the Senate race has been in a statistical dead heat for the entire election cycle.

Photos taken by Ronald Joseph

What better place for Katie McGinty to participate in the second, and last, Pennsylvania Senatorial Debate than Temple University, the place where Hillary riled up her Millennial base in September.

Outside of the debate, protestors were either seen supporting or demonstrating their disdain for either candidate.

A huge issue during the debate, and on the minds of many voters, is who the senatorial candidates themselves support for the presidency.

McGinty is clear in her support for her party’s nominee, but it’s not so clear for Pat Toomey.

McGinty distanced herself from Clinton during the debate on some issues like Guantanamo Bay while overall giving great praise to Hillary and her campaign’s pledge to fight for working families.

Incumbent Senator Pat Toomey has struggled over the past few weeks as Donald Trump’s media coverage has become increasingly negative. Toomey, when pressed on the subject over the past few weeks and tonight, refused to endorse or distance himself from Trump – hoping Pennsylvania voters will cast a split ticket with him as their Senator.

Toomey answered a question during the debate about his wishy-washy support for Trump by saying he is not ideological and wouldn’t blindly support anyone. He criticized Trump, saying he “acknowledges” Trump is flawed. Jabbing at his opponent, Toomey said McGinty blindly gives her support to Clinton, a candidate that spouts “chronic lies.”

To the accusation about toeing the line to get more votes Toomey again acknowledged Trump is a flawed candidate, but expressed that he was sure his party’s standard-bearer would pass legislation he could support (i.e. repealing Obamacare). Toomey ended his statement by articulating that he feels like voters care more about his own policies instead of who he will cast his vote for.

McGinty countered by highlighting how Toomey is one of the only candidates running for US Senate that hasn’t come out in support or against his party’s general election candidate.

In a question from Morgan LePre about how the candidates would tackle student loan debt, Toomey expressed his support for Pell Grants. He said that the financial burden of student debt is a shared responsibility on students themselves and that graduating students should have great job opportunities. McGinty countered by putting forth her support for refinancing student loans. She added that she supports bipartisan legislation to extend tax breaks and to increase state funding towards public colleges.

On a question about green energy policy, Pat Toomey said he supports whatever makes “economic sense” when it comes to energy. An idea that is focused on increasing the energy industry’s profit margins instead of being in compliance with the Paris Climate Change Agreement.

Most issues brought up during the debate were answered along party lines. McGinty’s policy views lining up with Clinton’s, and Toomey’s lining up with his party’s, if not his party’s standard-bearer.

Come November 8th, it’s important for young people to seriously look down the ballot at who they’re going to vote for after they choose their presidential candidate. Is it enough to vote split your ticket and vote for Pat Toomey because you haven’t heard any lewd comments from him? Or would it be beneficial to give Hillary Clinton a mandate to carry out her campaign’s promises by voting Democrat down the ballot?

Temple University