Princeton opposes Trump: We went to the DumpTRUMP Rally outside Nassau Hall

‘Ladies, we have got more than our bodies’

In response to the result of the 2016 US presidential election, Unidad Latina en Acción NJ, a non-profit founded in 2009 that defends and protects the rights of migrants, organized a DumpTRUMP rally in front of Nassau Hall.

The goal, as stated on the Facebook event page was “to demonstrate mass opposition to Trump and his agenda”. In case you are wondering what his agenda is, here is his 100-day plan.

Students and Princeton residents gathered on the Nassau Hall steps, united, and determined to fight against Trump’s “racism, sexism, Islamophobia, transphobia, homophobia, ableism and xenophobia.”

Chants such as “Love trumps hate” and “Trump has to go” were shouted in between speeches, given by those who wanted to share their opinions, worries and frustrations.

“I’m from North Carolina. My mom sent me a text this morning about KKK rallies that were happening close to where they lived. I was trying to tell them to be safe, make sure they were able to get home safely.”

“I got friends who are Muslim and they’re concerned for their moms and their sisters who wear their identities on their sleeves day in and day out. I have friends who have family members that are worried about being deported. It’s real guys.”

“We thought it was a joke. It’s not a joke. This is real. This is the reality we have to face and it’s upsetting.”

“I am really angry. I have spent my entire graduate career here believing that the education for me was going to make me good enough to do anything I wanted to. When I woke up this morning, there was a big white man with a bad hairdo standing in my way.”

“I felt so angry, and I don’t know what to do with the anger…Ladies, we have got more than our bodies. More than our faces. More than our tits and our asses. Right?”

The rally then moved towards Nassau Street, in front of FitzRandolph Gate where more speeches and chants were held.

Unidad Latina en Acción NJ plans to host more events to bring together people who wish to band together and fight for the rights they believe in.

We interviewed some students during and after the rally. Here’s what they had to say:

“If there’s anything that’s just so apparent about Trump, it’s just sheer stupidity,” said Elisa, a junior.

Michael, a sophomore, thinks that Trump “doesn’t have much respect for minority groups, those who may be different from him, those who may share different backgrounds, different beliefs, [and] different ideologies.”

Princeton University