‘Mother Nature doesn’t care about your opinion’: March for Science was a success

Climate change is not a liberal conspiracy

On Earth Day, thousands of people of all ages met outside Cathy in support of science, and to denounce climate change deniers, like our commander-in-chief and most of his cabinet.  The event was organized by the March for Science Pittsburgh group.  There were several speakers, including doctors, researchers, and elected officials.  Unfortunately, they were all a little hard to hear if you weren’t close to the stage.

Since the march was held on Earth Day, most of the focus was on the environment.  I found that ironic because there was a giant truck left on in front of the WPU.  I’m no scientist, but there’s no way that’s good for the Earth.

After a few people spoke, the huge crowd marched up Forbes, turned onto S. Bellefield, marched on 5th, and turned back onto Bigelow, chanting all the way.  “Build bridges, not walls! Pittsburgh science is for all!”  The marchers had lots of signs; some making fun of Trump (“Without science, there’s no Twitter”), some with science jokes, some demanding action on climate change and some promoting the scientific method.

Science will never be able to explain why we are marching for this in 2017.  Perhaps one day, we will live in a society that accepts science and doesn’t try to cover it up.

University of Pittsburgh